Garden bench - should I glue the slats?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday!

I'm making a garden bench (oak). The back is formed from two horizontal rails that have a chain of mortises that hold slats between them vertically.
I've managed to cut the mortises (painfully slowly...but to a nice tight fit for the slats: hurrah!
Question: should I just leave the slats embedded top and bottom and rely on the rails, which will be glued and pegged into the legs, to hold them? Or should I glue in the slats?
The mortises for the slats are fairly shallow (10mm) so can't peg them.

"You should have designed it differently/I wouldn't start from here" are valid answers for learning, but help me make the best of it please?

Also, I've got an exterior PU glue and Osmo UV for coating and brass screws for the horizontal slats. Sound about right?

Thanks always

J

I’ve had this bench for years and just starting a refurb. If it is any help I’m pretty sure that all the slats have been glued top and bottom.
11259C7F-13A6-4F68-A645-24577F097B2A.jpeg

I also use Osmo oil for external wood with good results as long as you give it a touch up coat every 2-3 years.

Back