Garden bench seat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workshop Ronnie

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making a garden bench seat out of English oak. When I've assembled and glued it I'm intending to finish it in oil. Can anyone recommend the best oil to use? Given how expensive it was to buy the oak, it doesn't make sense to skimp on the oil so I'm looking for a quality product rather than a cheap one. Also can anyone suggest what I should use to fill the odd crack or split (plus the occasional little gap where I haven't cut my mortise and tenons accurately enough)?

osmo uv works well. as does le tonkinois marine varnish(not really oil though). my favourite is.. ... pine tar mix. take chinese wood oil made by auson boiled linseed and whichever colour pine tar you prefer(made by auson) mix approx 1/3 oil 1/3 tar and 1/3 turps (real or fake). splash it on all over. leave to dry for a week. it protects it and colours it a lovely brown. but it stinks for a bit and it fades a bit in the sun and you have to treat it every year or 2. I like because its nearly as good as not putting anything on(seriously I do like the colour)
there are 2 pack oak coloured fillers but I'm not sure I'd use them on exterior oak.

I had a similar question having also made an oak garden bench (from green oak left over from another project) in spare time during lockdown.

I was advised (at Yandles) to use tung oil. Part of the motivation for oil was that it is easy to re-apply annually. Finishes that form a hard film will be a pain to refinish if they are damaged or degraded.

it seems to make sense but for good joinery film finishes last 2 or 3 times as long. After a few applications oil finishes become film finishes anyway.
le tonkinois is mostly oil as well but its cooked. yearly application is a real chore as well.

Back