Garden Bench Driftwood Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafter

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

looking to fix together a garden bench made from drift wood.

P1030529.jpg

here it is, can anyone advise on the best way to fix the top plank to the legs -thinking one of the following:

P1030530.jpg

1) coach screws countersunk into the top plank downwards into the legs
something like these m8 x 120mm coach screws:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/turbo-coach-s ... f-50/52740

2) smaller wooden block under the bench - block screwed into top plant, block screwed into legs - I could get away with much smaller coach screws but can't help feeling it would not look quite so good?

3) wooden dowels - x2 dowels each side from legs into top plant, glued with exterior pva glue.

4) or perhaps a a bit of dowel and then 2 coach screws?

Then moving on to the bottom cross piece - coach screw through and glued?

Finish wise, I was think of a few coats of Danish Oil? it has been roughly belt sanded and I want to keep it rustic looking, would the Danish Oil be a good choice?
P1030531.jpg

any advice much appreciated!

cheers

Grafter

I think the wood is quite likely to move and twist a bit when out in the summer wind and rain! So coach screws through the seat into end grain would be likely to pull out, or just pull the wood out around them. I think I would buy some chunky dowelling - preferably hardwood, say about 18-20mm diameter - could even be a thin broom handle - and just drill holes down through the seat into the ends, then 'nail' the seat to the ends with the chunky dowels, glued in place with your preferred waterproof glue.

That way, if it does twist and distort a bit, you don't get a lump of steel sticking out. If the dowel ends up proud of the surface, you can easily plane or sand it back.

The same approach would work to hold the stretcher in place - but there you would be going into side grain and your coach screws would be fine.

brilliant thanks for the advice - will get some hardwood chunky dowel!

Latest posts

Back