Garage/workshop woodburning stove advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nozzle

Established Member
Reaction score
first of all I want to say sorry about the wall of text coming your way and I hope I have explained it clearly :?

Hi there guys.

I am after some advice about wood burning stove regs and installation

I have a 18ft by 18ft garage which I use for doing all my woodturning/woodcarving and small joinery projects. its not very well insulated so in the winter it is damn freezing in there and in the summer its damn hot.

at the moment im using 3 electric heaters to try and heat the place in winter which is obviously not that cheap to run and takes forever to heat the place up so I am planning on buying a small potbelly wood burner a bit like this one: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/potbelly-cast-iron-stove

now seeing as this is just a garage is there very tight and specific regulations to follow for the positioning of the flues, for instance I have heard that you must go 1 meter above the height of the building which means for me that it will cost more to buy the flues than the stove itself. so can I go up to a certain height on the wall and come out the wall and up a meter from there? in sort of a dog leg fashion.

my little garage is fairly old, its walls are made up with just one skin of concrete panels and the roof is just pitched in the middle but is made with angle iron and the roof is covered in corrugated asbestos. the roof at its highest point is approx. 15ft and the lowest point (where the roof meets the wall) is approx. 8ft

now the only place I have to put the stove is at the wall were the roof is smallest. so that's what I mean by coming out at the top of the wall instead of the roof.

if you get me drift!!! :)

thanks for your time

Nozzle

First thing i would do is get the insulation sorted. If the garage will be just a workshop without a car going in there? I would batten out the floor, insulate between the battens. Then ply over the top. Same with the walls 3 x 2 stud walls, insulate an board. Again get as much insulation in the ceiling area as possible.

There have been a few similar threads lately that should give you some ideas. Plus links to proper workshop stoves. :)

woodburning-stove-t70099.html

What ever heating you put in that garage will go straight out to heat the big wide world. Only one word to you insulate, insulate, INSULATE!!!!

sorry about the long time to reply, I have only just got back on the internet.

to everyone: insulation is in the pipeline so to speak but what I was really after was some advanced advice about regulations for installing a wood burner in a small garage.
regards
Nozzle

Hi, TBH your biggest problem may come from any dust extraction system. IF you are running an extraction system, this will draw air out of the volume of the room. It has to be replaced and one of the easiest ways is down the chimney / flue, drawing the combustion gases, not all visible, back into the room. It is for this reason that cooker hoods are not recommended in kitchens with fires etc. You may have to spend big on a burner with a balanced flue which is totally sealed from the inside environment. If in doubt seek the advice of a local supplier of, say, AGA cookers...good luck!

jetsetwilly":a01uaqnh said:
Surely most DX systems in garage workshops will exhaust back into the shop? In which case there is no air extraction as such?

It may cause enough disruption to the airflow to reduce the effect of the fire chimney / flu. I would still seek advice from a reputable company such as a solid fuel fire installation firm. My 2p worth...

Back