Garage roof quote

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
I was quoted £3000- £5100 for a garage and brick shed roof replacement .

Has anybody had their garage roof replaced and if so would you mind sharing how much it cost?

I have an asbestos roof and that needs to be changed as soon as possible, but I don’t want to be ripped off!
Based in Kent too if that helps.

If it truly is an asbestos roof, then I think your quotes are extremely low, if it includes removal of the asbestos. This 8 its self is a costly business, requiring licensed operators to remove and dispose of correctly.

If the roof is asbestos, and is removed and dumped/flytipped in unlicensed facility, and it is traced back to you, then you could be for a hefty bill.
The onus is now on the owner to ensure the people involved prove they can handle it and that you get clear proof they will dispose of rubbish correctly, if they flytrap and you don't have evidence to the contrary, it'll be you that foots the bill if they can't be traced?

Getting a professional firm in to remove asbestos sheeting will probably cost around £1k which is a bit irrespective of garage size. £2k for a new roof doesnt sound too bad £4100 sounds a lot depends on how big the roof is
You can remove yourself but there are procedures to follow and only certain sites will accept asbestos. Also need to know which type of asbestos. There are firms that do analysis on a sample sent through the post at between £50 and £100

Just paid £2k for new Firestone roof on a single detached garage. 18mm OSB laid over existing plywood after removing felt. New PVC facias and guttering. Done in a day.

We removed an old corrigated asbestos cement garage roof and sides ourselves using the apropriate dust masks and disposable overalls, I contacted the local council refuse centre and they supplied the visqueen and bags to double wrap it free of charge and explained not to make each package to heavy.
It may depend on your local council but it was a very straight forward process being classed as domestic, if it's done through a firm it will be commercial waste and expensive.

Exactly like @hunter27; we removed and bagged asbestos
We had to call Wigan Council to come to site and check bags before we took them to refuse centre
Next day I called the council lady asking where she was at
"Visited this morning on my way to work"
Me; "But the gate was locked"
Council lady; " I know, I climbed over the fence"
C/l gave me a number to quote when I took the asbestos

Last edited:
It is worth checking with the local council. All are a bit different. West yorks charges, but it is cheaper than getting a skip. It needs to be double wrapped and you have to prebook- minimum charge 200kgs. It would be almost as expensive from memory to have a test and prove that fibre cement sheets are not asbestos than to assume it is, since rubble and plasterboard and similar are also chargeable.

North Yorks doesn't charge and it needs double bagging but they don't give you the bags. As far as I am aware, neither LA will come and pre-inspect. I presume that they reserve the right to send you away if it isn't correctly wrapped.

You can get the bags on eBay but some are below the thickness required by the local authorities so be wary. Having got the right ones, nobody seemed interested in checking!

Do you know the age of the roof? If under around 40 years (?) it should not be asbestos. I had a prefab garage built 20 years ago and was definitely not asbestos.

There are different types of asbestos fibres mainly white, brown and blue, Blue is the most harmful and was banned in 1985, White wasnt banned until 1999. There can be more requirements if dealing with material containing blue asbestos hence the reason for testing. Otherwise you need to confirm with local facility that they will take all types

I have experience of this on a bigger scale than yours.
First thing I would say is that you need to be careful who you deal with, as soon as you mention asbestos to anybody it becomes a money maker. Next thing I would ask is why do you want to remove it and the last thing I would say is if you return to this thread I will try to answer any questions you may have based on the experience I had with my project.

I approached a local licensed firm who came to quote, told me that it was not asbestos but glass reinforced cement, took it away that day and charged me £400, I could have easily been ripped off but got very good service, I will try to find the name of the firm and post it here, not that it will be any use to you in Kent. Rebuilt the roof my self with Onduline although I purchased made to measure trusses as they came cheaper than I could buy the timber. Only a single concrete garage with a 6' mower shed on the back but very pleased with the results. If you have a similar concrete section garage and decide to do the same excuse me stating the obvious but don't forget that with the roof and door off they are very unstable and definitely need propping up.

It surely depends what you are replacing the roof with and the size. New roof timbers, insulation, sheeting and tile will be more than sticking some corrugated sheeting on. It's a pretty easy DIY job.

Exactly like @hunter27; we removed and bagged asbestos
We had to call Wigan Council to come to site and check bags before we took them to refuse centre
Next day I called the council lady asking where she was at
"Visited this morning on my way to work"
Me; "But the gate was locked"
Council lady; " I know, I climbed over the fence"
C/l gave me a number to quote when I took the asbestos
Jeez, I wish our local council were as ✨ proactive as her!!!

Your question is too vague to give any meaningful reply.

Does it include stripping and disposal of old material?
Size?
What are you replacing it with?
Are trims, barge boards, gutters etc included?
Will it be membrained, insulated etc
Scaffold included if needed?

Any time I get a quote for anything I ask how many guys will be on the job and how long they think it will take. I'm pretty handy and have good discounts on trade accounts I opened when I stripped my house back to the walls and rafters to rebuild so use them to get an idea on material costs. Together you can work out what they are allowing for labour (plus contingecies and profit for the boss) and decide if the price is fair.

Day rates often come as a surprise to many.

Hi- the roof age I’m not too sure about.

It came up on the survey that it contains asbestos.

Trims are included and it is non insulated.

Garage is 3.5m x 6m
Shed is 4m by 1.5m

I hope this answers the questions.
I want to remove it as I don’t believe it’s safe and would like to have a green metal roof that will have the option of me installing insulation on the inside.

Attachments

• E33BC438-4E89-441B-8F5C-BBF57AA885FB.jpeg
    E33BC438-4E89-441B-8F5C-BBF57AA885FB.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 25
  • A8217776-C149-43AA-82DA-A3491C07CCE0.jpeg
    A8217776-C149-43AA-82DA-A3491C07CCE0.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 24
I re roofed my workshop last autumn. Big double garage. Asbestos roof & all the purlins were riddled with woodworm, It was so bad that i was worried even a moderate snowfall would cave it in, chasing leaks was usual every time we got heavy rain. Because i could not empty the workshop & poor access to the boundary side we took the roof panels off ourselves. Suited & booted with proper respirators. Got a licenced contractor in to wrap it & take it way, Cost for them was £475 with the proper paperwork.
Then there was all new timberwork, purlins, bolts, mastic etc another £1000.
I bought insulated steel roofing sheets from Rollaclad in Swansea, they were very helpful the price was just under £2,300 & i ended up with several sheets left over. Just as well as delivery was by palletline & they are not that careful resulting in several damaged sheets. Trims sealing strip & all self drilling screws were included.
It was a big job & i had a strong lad working with me for 3 weeks helping me do it. Now its done i have no worries. It is strong waterproof & warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Clean white roof inside, Cannot beat it.

Back