Garage roof covering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

The felt on my garage is completely knackered and letting water in all over the place :( poor table saw is hiding under some ineffective covering so it needs doing sooner rather than later (thanks in part to the superb weather we are having at the moment :evil: ).

The osb roof is going mouldy but I think I can salvage it (wont know for sure till I'm doing the job). Question is what brand of felt should I be looking out for and what ones should I be avoiding? Cant be too spendy, in fact I've got to ebay a few bits to pay for it :oops: Looking at using bitumen adhesive to fix the felt (and nails obviously) rather than torch on stuff.

So suggestions and tips are welcomed!

No skills":1v8qqc3c said:
suggestions and tips are welcomed!

We have a shed with a similar problem, so I'll also be watching this thread with interest...

Ni NS.

I can't say if this is any better than fibreglass sheets, but it's rigid, and easy enough to fix.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wi ... gil/44.pdf

There are other makes of this stuff BTW.

EDIT>>
Just saw the bit about the OSB.
I wouldn't bother trying to save it, if it's starting to go. Find the cash for floorboards if you can, or at the least use waterproof ply.

HTH :D

I used B&Q stuff and have found it really good. They do a medium grade stuff for about £20 for 10m its not the nasty paper stuff for little sheds. I built a wendy house for my daughter 10 years ago and I used this stuff. I didn't use adhesive just felt tacks, and its still going strong.
Mark

I used Wickes Easy Seal on both my workshop and garage, and have just done the neighbour's shed with it too as he was so impressed with mine.

It's not the cheapest but it does last really well and is very easy to apply, it's a two part roofing felt system with a self-adhesive underlay which is applied to a primed surface, then the self-adhesive topsheet is applied over that with the joints staggered. You don't need any nails or tacks other than possibly where it folds over the edges.

It's claimed to last up to 20 years, after nearly 10 years mine still looks as good as the day it was laid, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted rather longer than they claim.

I wouldn't bother trying to save the OSB either, take it off and replace it with exterior ply, whatever felt system you choose it will be much easier to apply over new timber.

We're just in the process of having two dormers and a large-ish flat roof all fibreglassed.

Apart from the smell and the bits, which seem to get everywhere, I'm dead impressed.

I don't know how easy it is for a steeply-pitched roof, but the roofer's here today, so I'll ask. I think you'll need new (dry) OSB though: if you trap damp under a waterproof seal, it'll rot very fast once the weather properly warms up.

Incidentally, I keep the cast iron stuff reasonably rust free by carefully slicing open bin liners and putting them next to the steel surface with something to weight them down. I can just about get a large size one over the top of my bandsaw, down to the table. It works pretty well.

Hope you get a good solution.

E.

I had a summer house put up, and they said the felt would last for 20 years-- it's been there for 8 and and there's no sign of deterioration. I tried to rip an offcut, and even with cut to start I couldn't. Such materials do exist, although you'll probably pay dearly for them.

No skills! I live in a timber house and have been through this myself. Give it up!

http://www.permaroof.co.uk/

fix and forget for the next 40yrs. I use it, easy to apply, totally waterproof as well!

Roy.

I had my workshop erected last year, the guy who built it asked if I wanted the non tear stuff. It cost an extra £80 for the felt but it is indeed tear proof, I gave ita an almighty attempt at tearing a acrap piece and could not tear it. It also has a 15 year guarantee.

It can't recall the brand/trade name but he bought it frome Wickes

BKF. Unless the garage is pretty big, rubber will be less than £80 and outlast even that felt.

Roy.

I recommend Wickes top coat fitted on a warm day, however the first coat will make it water tight.

Well folks, thankyou all for the input :eek:ccasion5:

First off if I end up living here long enough for any roof covering to be out of warranty (including something from the pound shop) you will find me swinging by the neck from the tree in the garden :shock:

Aside from that I'm thinking this..

Fibreglass - yes great stuff, but I hate using it and its more agro than I want tbh.

Corrogated bitumen sheets - I have been considering these rather than the felt before I posted but I'm not sure on the fixing, screws through into the substrate?? how will that be water tight??

Trad felt - got some suggestions for names/places now, still my most likely option at the moment.

EPDM - I have liked the look of this stuff on some building programs I've seen, didnt know it could be jointed with adhesive - always thought it was a hot weld type of thing. Also the price is lower than I thought.

So.. I need to go and measure up the area and start costing up the options. Thanks to all =D>

With the EPDM you need the deck sorted, after that it's the easiest roof covering of my experience. You need a warm day as it helps make the sheet 'limp'. My wife and I did an 8 X 12 in about an hour. I'm in my seventies.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back