Garage floor levelling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looked at costs of using self levelling to 50mm - goes down at 4m2 at 3mm. Would need around 17 bags at £14 - around £250 . No idea how much delivery of a cement mix would be - 1/2 ton. Any idea?

Just looked at costs of using self levelling to 50mm - goes down at 4m2 at 3mm. Would need around 17 bags at £14 - around £250 . No idea how much delivery of a cement mix would be - 1/2 ton. Any idea?
Can't say for sure.

Near the freezer area, I'm pretty sure the depth of the compound now is about 25mm in my garage.

That took the most compound.

Generally, a standard UK single garage should take 5 to 6 bags of 20kg compound (No nonsense / Secrete etc) according to many online videos etc.

I bought 9 bags and I'm left with 1 full bag. That's with the last 3m² not done near the washing machine side. But mine were 25 kg bags. So around 200 kg just in compound.

I put them in the boot of my car from Screwfix as these things do not qualify for delivery.

When I first ordered setcrete from this company called BC Profiles (awful service)

They quoted me £40 delivery for 6 bags of 20kg compound. Not that it turned up, but that might give you an idea.

Last edited:
I may be stateing the obvious but self leveling sreeds must be troweled out to level. The self leveling bit means the tool marks disappear.

This is what I used:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-ul...8xXDMJ-0PRKSvKaDhghoCGS4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It says you can apply 3-40mm in a single application. Maybe you can look at its data sheet to see if it works as a damp proof course? Or ask Screwfix, sometimes they would know.
No it cant be used instead of a DPC, the product itself will still allow water to permeate.

For the longevity, have you thought about using a "concrete hardener"? It's product that seals and helps to harden the surface, it's very runny almost like water and can just be liberally rollered on, It will also help with any spills like glue, paint oil etc from penetrating the surface of the self levelling so it can just be wiped off.

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/everbuild-403-concrete-hardener-dustproofer-5-litre-chd5l
Made by SIka iirc.

https://gbr.sika.com/dms/getdocumen...everbuild-403-concretehardenerdustproofer.pdf

even for the smaller spaces to be levelled get a friend in to help.....
better flow.....
even better would be 3 person gang........
one mixing, one levelling and the other person fetching and carrying....
then a few beers or T after, to watch it dry......

it really is so easy to use...try not to use the trowel to much, just the odd push.....
Some manuf. use water not a supplied liquid........
Take the time to measure it out accurately......

even for the smaller spaces to be levelled get a friend in to help.....
better flow.....
even better would be 3 person gang........
one mixing, one levelling and the other person fetching and carrying....
then a few beers or T after, to watch it dry......

it really is so easy to use...try not to use the trowel to much, just the odd push.....
Some manuf. use water not a supplied liquid........
Take the time to measure it out accurately......
Now that would have been sensible. However, I was planning to do it on the Sunday of that week, but just after dropping my boy off to nursery I decided to do it that day.

Plus I carry an unusual inability to prepare tea, as I don't drink it (perhaps one of the very few Indians to claim that!) 🤣🤣🤣

Any body else done this how durable is it any long term tests ?
I have a triple garage with poor quality concrete floor.
It will be an expensive exercise unless any body has any other ideas ?

Back