Garage doors advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I would like to replace my up and over garage door with wooden ones 2 openers , not really too sure what type of wood to use , or indeed how to proceed. Does anyone have any views on type of wood to use and where I could get reading material on Making garage doors.

Redwood (pine).
Meranti.
Oak.
Iroko.

Redwood (Scandinavian pine) is one of the most used woods for this as its the cheapist. Meranti is a wood most used in semi-quality doors and windows. Both of these are most suited for painting and preservatives but meranti makes a decent looking wood when oiled with teak oil.

Oak is nice to look at and makes a very sturdy door, its a shame to paint it so danish oil is most recommended by me. With oak you get a natural protection that will out last the other to.

Iroko has a greater natural protection to weather and makes a stunning wood when oiled, it even looks to glow when teak oil is used and is fresh. Iroko is largely used as a sub for teak in outdoor furniture and wooden projects.

HTH.

What about Western Red Cedar? Reasonably cheap and not too heavy, and very rot resistant with little or no treatment required, I have loads left from my current boat project and was thinking of making an up and over garage door with it.

I was wondering about suggesting Western Red Cedar (our last house had cedar garage doors that looked really good), but have not found a source that was "reasonable" in price!
Similar, but slightly cheaper, could be larch?

I bought my WRC from SL Hardwoods in Croydon, 300 metres of 100 x 25 sawn planks, not much use to you in Aberdeen I know, but it was a good price!

There are some good pictures here for design/timber ideas....

http://www.joinery3.co.uk/index.php

If you are making your own then whatever timber you choose, select your stiles and rails carefully and make sure they are as straight as you can find them.

The best part about traditional wooden doors is that they are so much warmer and easier to draight-proof than up-and-over metal doors.

HTH
Jon

As this is my first post on here I will keep it brief. Have you gat a decent frame around your existing door, or are you planning to make that too? I have made many pairs of doors over the years and in many ways the most important is having someting decent to attach them to! ;-)
Timber wise, all of what's been suggested above will work fine. It depends on how much you want to maintain or neglect them!
Any other questions, just ask.

Matt...

Latest posts

Back