Garage Cupboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wanting to put up a cupboard in the garage, most cupboards I've made have been of ply. I have a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4 MDF hanging around, but never having worked with this I'm concerned about the strength. So the question is, if this is held together with domino's will it be strong enough?

The cupboard will contain home made preserves and the odd case of wine.

All comments appreciated.

Should be OK, Waka. Nearly all kitchen cabinets are made of MDF or chipboard and they take the sort of weights you envisage for your cupboard.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Waka":1lu44bgb said:
....The cupboard will contain home made preserves and the odd case of wine.
Knowing what sort of weight can be closeted away in a wall cupboard with jars stacked on top of each other etc. I would make sure the bases are well supported and sitting on some timber stringers and not relying on top or French cleat fixings.
It's quite easy to put 30+ kilos in a 500mm wide wall cupboard.

I hope you are going to drink the wine fairly quickly as I've found to my cost, that a garage is not the best place to store wine?
Too wide a temperature change?

Rod

Harbo, as to the wine it never last long in my house.

CHJ thanks for that info, I did intend putting some cast iron home made shelf bracket under the cupboard to add extra support.

Better be strong enough as i've just made 4 with Dominos and they're going to hold all my tools etc.

Did overbuild it a bit; think I used about 6/7 dominos on each side of the base, a load on the back and the back of the cabinet itself was 3/4 mdf bolted to the wall.

Latest posts

Back