Garage Conversion to Workshop - Extraction Completed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At last the extraction has been "revamped" from the method posted earlier in this thread :oops:

I got a twin motor Camvac from Yandles (very helpful bunch of blokes in there, my first dealings with them and certainly not my last)

IMG_0024.jpg

After talking through my requirements with the Yandles guys I went for a 2.5" rather than a 4" as its only servicing my TS, SCMS and router table (when its made)

I also got the blast gates and a fistful of adaptors at the same time. I thought that the Camvac pipe and fittings were a wee bit on the pricey side so opted to plumb everything in using plastic rain water pipe, reducing where neccesary to fit the machinery and blast gates. As it turned out the internal diameter of the rain pipe was a smidge bigger than the external diameter of the blast gate flanges, a decent squeeze of silicon sealant did the job admirably.

In order to keep suction to a maximum I put the blast gates as close to the extractor as possible, in my mind vacuum would be "wasted" if it were trying to suck along lengths of pipe that wern't in use (if that makes sense :roll:) I also needed a way of connecting the 3 gates to the inlet hose - voila:

IMG_0023.jpg

system works really well with massive suction. Apparently suction is lost on 90 degree bends and tees so I made my own elongated 90's by cutting the pipe at 22.5 on the scms and joining with insulation tape (all the fittings are well wound with tape)

the pipe work is all under the bench in a void which really wasn't usable, however I can see it becoming the offcuts area and general dumping ground.

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026-1.jpg

I wanted to have the TS guard serviced from above so branched off the main run with some 32mm waste pipe, took it up the wall, across a rafter and dropped it with some reinforced hose. I was worried that reducing down to 32mm would reduce the suction but it works perfectly.

IMG_0027.jpg

The hose for the connection to the SCMS was courtesy of the electrical skip at the local council tip, the adapter on the bench top is from the dust collection bag off of a bosch electric plane.

IMG_0022.jpg

There is a third outlet for the router table but as thats not been built yet its redundant at the mo.

Vinny

Nice one Vin !

I bet you're missing the plastic bag eh !

Bit of RAF ingenuity came into play there ( where's the pine poles )

It loooks good, soon be right for winter.

"Toodle pip ginger"

Jed

Chems

The Camvac is the dogs danglies, loads of suction and surprisingly quiet. The other benefit (as pointed out by Yandles) is that if desired you could attach a hose to one of the outlets and use it to blow - handy prior to applying a finish. The exhaust air is also quite warm so heats up the workshop nicely, I'm thinking of perforating the bench top above the unit to allow the warm air to circulate.

Jed

LOL - RAF ingenuity - theres 2 words you don't often find in the same sentance. No, it can't have been RAF ingenuity because I didn't have to account for all my hours on a 707, I didn't have to sign any orders or attend a briefing and i was able to finish the job without get pulled off it half way though to cover an orderly sgt or guard commander because someone had "gone sick"

remind me again why I left the mob - oh yeah see above :wink:

As for pine poles - I built a tripod so that i could sit on top and take the pictures - the old saying is still true, if all else fails - build a tripod !!

Tally ho

Vinny

Vinny":qrpuksxn said:
Chems

The Camvac is the dogs danglies, loads of suction and surprisingly quiet. The other benefit (as pointed out by Yandles) is that if desired you could attach a hose to one of the outlets and use it to blow - handy prior to applying a finish. The exhaust air is also quite warm so heats up the workshop nicely, I'm thinking of perforating the bench top above the unit to allow the warm air to circulate.

Jed

LOL - RAF ingenuity - theres 2 words you don't often find in the same sentance. No, it can't have been RAF ingenuity because I didn't have to account for all my hours on a 707, I didn't have to sign any orders or attend a briefing and i was able to finish the job without get pulled off it half way though to cover an orderly sgt or guard commander because someone had "gone sick"

Tally ho

Vinny
V - looks an excellent set up...told you the Camvac is the dg's! I need to do a similar sort of thing later on with my 386 when my machinery is upgraded. Attaching a hose(s) to the exhaust ports on top of the machine cuts the racket down by well over half. Fantastic bit of kit :lol:

Least in the RAF you learn how to walk sideways :lol: - Rob...already ducking and moving for the door!

Least in the RAF you learn how to walk sideways :lol: - Rob...already ducking and moving for the door!

Yeah but I always get looked at suspiciously when walking round shops, do they suspect I'm a thief :lol:

Being called a crab is normally an Army thing, are you previously part of the Green Machine Rob?

Vin, do you know if Camvac are suitable for Planerthicknesser shavings?
I like the size of them, and a litle fotprint ( I need that in a 17 X & garage :cry: )

Chocks away..........

woodbloke":33ad2jrr said:
Vinny":33ad2jrr said:
Chems

Jed

Tally ho

Vinny
V - looks an excellent set up...told you the Camvac is the dg's! I need to do a similar sort of thing later on with my 386 when my machinery is upgraded. Attaching a hose(s) to the exhaust ports on top of the machine cuts the racket down by well over half. Fantastic bit of kit :lol:

Yeah but I always get looked at suspiciously when walking round shops, do they suspect I'm a thief :lol:

Being called a crab is normally an Army thing, are you previously part of the Green Machine Rob?

Vin, do you know if Camvac are suitable for Planerthicknesser shavings?
I like the size of them, and a litle fotprint ( I need that in a 17 X & garage :cry: )

Chocks away..........

Jed

Yes it'd be ideal, I wouldn't go for anything less than the twin motor though. I went for the 2.5" inlet pipe on advice from simon at Yandles because I wasn't connecting it to P/T, in your case 'cos you are then you're better off going for the 4". Best advice would be to give yandles a bell and explain what youre connecting to, they'll then be able to advise accordingly.

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Vinny

hello Vinny looks like your getting on great- i have two camvac machines and would advise that if the machine is staying there long term you shorten the flex so that its not coiled up getting hot- and definatley earth all of your ducting as static can build and cause fire or even in extreme case's explosion when mixed with fine sanding dust.
best wish's
george

jedmc571":2advgqb8 said:

Chocks away..........

No, but I work with them in my day job - Rob

Cornucopia and anyone else who may know.

What would be the best method of earthing the pipe ?
Would bonding the pipe to the earth of one of the workshops sockets suffice or am I inviting disaster doing it that way, also is a single bonding point per pipe run sufficient or would several be better. Lastly what would be the best method of attaching the bonding to the pipe, I was thinking of baring enough cable to wrap around the pipe and then simply taping it in place.

Thanks in advance.

Vinny

Earthing dust extraction pipes is a bit of a controversial subject. Many people doubt that the static could ever actually cause any sort of explosion. However, earthing the system will give you one great big advantage, if you touch it you won't get the shock of your life :lol:

Just get some earth cable, strip it, clamp it to something that is earthed and then wind it around the pipe run. Simples.

in the dust extraction book i got from gmc it reccomended running a bare copper cable around the pipe in a twisting fashion and just before it enters the extractor running it of to a traditinal metal stake ground earth- it also said to put a copper cable in the middle of the pipe but i found this caused snags and blockages so i took it out.
My machines can run for a long time and i can touch my ducting and never get any shock.
I had an ex coal pit electrican visit my workshop once and he said the coal board use to make him earth all of their ducting to prevent explosion's.

what have you got to lose? it took me about 30 minutes to do and about £5 worth of copper wire

EDIT this is the book i've got

Latest posts

Back