Garage Contents Insurance??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhough

Established Member
Reaction score
I am really struggling to find insurance for my workshop. I have a home policy with Abbey, however they only cover the contents of my garage up to £2000. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure contents for a detached garage/workshop for an amount over £5000?

Thanks

Nolan

Try Barclays insurance if I remember they cover garage or workshop up to £10,000 as long as they are not commercial.

Les

Thanks for the info Les. I called Barclays but they will only insure a detached garage's contents up to £3000.00 This is an improvement though.

Thanks Nolan

I use Budget insurance brokers, they found me an insurer who covers £3000 contents on my workshop and cost to rebuild the structure comes under the building cover on the house (£475k standard cover!). It's technically a shed but has been insulated and enlarged. I estimated £2k to rebuild the shop itself.

Martin

There used to be a link or hint somewhere on the AWGB site (Assoc of Woodturners of GB - woodturners dot co dot uk), which came highly recommended I believe?

We're with NU ..virtually unlimted (can't remember the exact amount but I could reequip Phillys several times over!) cover on outbuildings contents but it ain't cheap.

Does the garage being alarmed help matters? Our is another zone on the house alrm system, which has an auto dialler. Garage has PIR's as well as contacts on the doors and satellite sounder to boot.

Roger Sinden":30605ull said:
We're with NU ..virtually unlimted (can't remember the exact amount but I could reequip Phillys several times over!) cover on outbuildings contents but it ain't cheap.

Hi Roger, I've tried NU but they won't insure contents for more than £3K. Apparently there are brokers that can tailor a quote but I am struggling to find them. Thanks anyway.

Nolan

As previously, I'm covered with Direct Line Insurance, and just double checked - I have contents of £41K, which nominally is divided in my mind as £26K for house contents, and £15K for workshop. They don't operate any breakdown like that though - its just how I divided it up in my mind.

They are fairly reasonably priced I guess.

Adam

I think you have a significant risk there Adam, in the hopefully unlikely event that you had a significant claim relating to your workshop, that they would not cover it.

Unless I had fully disclosed to them the value of possessions that were in the workshop, or they were specific about covering it and to those values, I would be very concerned that a claim would be rejected.

Sorry to be pessimistic but I would honestly want to check it out with them for peace of mind.

Cheers, Paul. :D

CIS tel 08457 464646 . You need to have your contents insurance with them and they will insure your tools all risks on a seperate insurance . They have paid out 5 times for me . ( that means ive had my tools nicked 5 times :evil: )

nhough":1hpui3ku said:
Roger Sinden":1hpui3ku said:

Hi Roger, I've tried NU but they won't insure contents for more than £3K. Apparently there are brokers that can tailor a quote but I am struggling to find them. Thanks anyway.

Nolan

I will check our small print :?

chisel":626qt6sv said:
I think you have a significant risk there Adam, in the hopefully unlikely event that you had a significant claim relating to your workshop, that they would not cover it.

Unless I had fully disclosed to them the value of possessions that were in the workshop, or they were specific about covering it and to those values, I would be very concerned that a claim would be rejected.

Sorry to be pessimistic but I would honestly want to check it out with them for peace of mind.

Cheers, Paul. :D

I've rung three times in as many years to double check, but when this question originally came up, I bumped up my value by £15K, realising my cover "wasn't enough". They are only interested if single items are larger than £1.5K in value. It covers including all locked garages and other outbuildings (including sheds).

Adam

Adam":71ojporg said:
They are only interested if single items are larger than £1.5K in value. It covers including all locked garages and other outbuildings (including sheds).

Adam

I am with them too and this is what they also told me - not bothered about garage/house location, only high value of a single item

Hi there. Did you ever find someone? I'm in the same situation. I rent a garage from my next door neighbour and our household insurance won't cover the contents because it's not on the same deed. There's just over £3-4k of tools and another £6-7k of other household stuff in there. Feeling a bit uneasy right now, since there have been some burglaries in the area.

Oddaccent":1k3lii7g said:
Hi there. Did you ever find someone? I'm in the same situation. I rent a garage from my next door neighbour and our household insurance won't cover the contents because it's not on the same deed. There's just over £3-4k of tools and another £6-7k of other household stuff in there. Feeling a bit uneasy right now, since there have been some burglaries in the area.

I have a garage not on my land as well. So far I have found I can only insure the building at a ridiculous price. Have not been able to find contents cover at all. I am just leaving it uninsured.

Oddaccent":264l4itj said:

How close do you live to the garage ? There are a lot of 'tech' solutions to alert you/video/nuke them if any scrotes break in.

Be aware that if you Claim they will wiggle if your locks, hinges and doors are not up to a decent standard.
Also photo your main kit to avoid accusations of over claiming.

“Normal people “ don’t have 20 planes and 150 chisels in their sheds. :D

IGNORE THIS - THINGS CHANGED WITH THEM. SEE BELOW.

I just bought some insurance with toolsinsuranceonline.com. All registered with the FCA. The claims go to Zurich insurance. I explained the situation and they seemed fine so long as they were stored in a locked garage. Wasn't cheap though £200/year, £16 ish per month for £4k of insurance. They only do portable 'hand-held' tools of the trade, but they confirmed that includes my contractor saw, router & table, thicknesser, planer, mitre saw, etc. They said to photo everything with a time stamp or provide receipts for a claim. Done it and feel more relaxed.

Back