Garage ceiling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanglefoot20

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am thinking of replacing my garage ceiling due to it being that pretend asbestos sheet. I was wondering what a good material would be....it is a standard sized garage. I’m wanting to use for workshop style things....any thoughts??

Is it a freestanding garage or one integral to the house (with habitable rooms over). If the latter it may be your choice of materials has to fit with building control fire regulations. With a freestanding garage you have more leeway, but some thought over condensation/mould issues may be necessary. In many ways the cement fibre sheet you already have (provided it's not asbestos) is probably ideal. Mould, damp and fire resistant. Personally I'd not be that bothered by asbestos sheet provided it was undamaged and the surface sealed with paint - but you'd have to decide for yourself on that. Otherwise plasterboard is an obvious choice if damp and fire aren't issues. If a freestanding garage, painted plywood is a robust utilitarian choice 9-18mm thick. But if integral to the house then you're probably stuck with approved processes and materials. Hth.

How old is the roof? are you sure its not asbestos? I just re roofed my workshop. It is a standard double garage that was built in 1973. Twenty years ago i extended it & simply added 6ft on the back end. New fibre cement board matched in perfectly on the new bit. By this year the old part was giving more & more trouble, leaks, split sheets due to ice damage etc. Decision was made to replace it.
I used insulated steel roofing sheet, The job went well & its nice & warm inside.
As for the asbestos i kept the fibre cement boards separate when we took them off that will go in the hardcore. The rest some 16 9ft asbestos sheets plus ridge caps had to be taken away by a licenced contractor, It has to be wrapped in polythene in packages that can be lifted by two men so two sheets at a time. That lot cost me just under 500 quid. Guys were clean & efficient & i got the proper paperwork. Interesting that the guy said since the first lockdown started they have never had so much work in their lives, flat out 6 days a week. Must be doing alright though not my choice of career!

Personally I just overboard the cement board with fire proof plasterboard, tape & fill the joints & screw holes then paint it white.
If it’s not an integral garage you might get away with ordinary plaster board, I wouldn’t remove the cement board as it’s just more expense to get rid of, it’s adding another layer of fire protection if needed & as it’s usually impervious to water will act as a vapour barrier, just aluminium tape any joints.

Hi all,
The house was built. In 1982...I was thinking of just boarding it over with fireproof plasterboard and making do with that...I understand it’s pink board and 12mm thick. Should be able to screw it to rafters through whatever is there now......I hope. Forgot to say the garage is jilt attached to house with a breakfast room extension to the rear.....this in turn forms a room on the side of original house..

Last edited:
Is there a habitable room above the garage? If so I think you will need to use an intumescent sealant around the edges of the ceiling.

Back