Gaps in parquet flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug N

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have just stripped a wood block floor that had previously been carpeted over. There are some small gaps between some of the blocks that we would like to fill before applying a clear hard wax oil finish.
What do you think would be the best way to fill the gaps so they don't show?
Any ideas most welcome.
Regards
Doug
IMG-20201126-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20201126-WA0008.jpg

I feel I'm an authority on parquet flooring after my nightmare! - Anyway - to your question - I have just had my floor refinished - the gaps in the floor was finished using a resin and the sawdust from the floor when sanded. I previously used PVA and the sawdust in my other room ( which is beech but not stained) and you could still see where I had filled - as it was much lighter due to using the PVA - I guess. Also hope you don't mind me suggesting but - thee are much better products on the market for the finish too- much harder wearing and easy to apply and less maintenance Bona do many such finishes and a product for filling in the gaps. This is my parquet floor ( it is beech and I had it stained) Then Bona Traffic.

Attachments

• IMG_7650.JPG
    IMG_7650.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7867.JPG
    IMG_7867.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 38
Your floor looks great. I'm about to do the same on a very wobbly floor.
I have a couple of questions.
You say resin for filler, I've read that alot as well, but what sort of resin?:unsure:

My floor is teak, but did you add colour or just use clear Bona?

Thanks
Jon

Excellent, thanks.

I thought it meant a two part resin like epoxy.

I was wondering about using Cascamite as I have some.
The floor is tiles consist of 8mm thick fingers of teak in set sof 5, laid over a glazed tile floor which is all over the place as the tiles are on a bare earth base. The transition of the gentle (and not so gentle)rolling hills and valleys of the floor mean theres alot of gaps and raised edges. 5mm gaps and I'm going to make some filler strips of teak, the rest I will fill.
It's going to be an interesting one to get a half decent finish!

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
Back