Gap filling adhesive advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
HI All,
I am hoping you could please advise?
I have been asked to glue and rehang a door that has split at the bottom hinge area.
It is quite a large split resulting in the hinge screws having no purchase on the timber, thus preventing the door from closing correctly.
I am pretty sure that it won't clamp back well, as the damage is not a clean split, and was wondering what the best adhesive would be to glue this joint with has potential gaps in it?
Initially I thought a PU thixotropic glue would do the trick, but I'm not sure if an epoxy would be better suited & would fill the gaps better?

Many thanks in advance as always

Simon

I wouldn't rely entirely on glue of any kind.
I'd do it in a couple of stages. In the first, inject with a syringe as much PVA glue as necessary in the crack and then
clamp it nice and tight. When this is dry, make a groove/ mortise over the problem area, about an inch deep and 2, maybe 3 times the length of the hinge (Longer than the crack, in any case). The width should be less than the thickness of the door, but generally, the wider the better.
Lastly, glue in and clamp an insert in the above mentioned mortise and after it's dry, fit the hinge.
Take care to do the glue up in a heated area.
Good luck.

Agree with dzj. A quicker and less good mend depending on the severity and how the door is made, after you’ve clamped and stuck the crack back together, drill out the screw holes and glue long dowels in, 10-15mm diameter usually works well. Not as good as the cut out method though.

Thanks both,

Sounds like a plan!
I will assess it after i've glued it to see whether I can get away with dowels or if a timber insert is needed.

Thanks again
Simon

I usually start off by using the ultra thin superglue that wicks itself into the smallest hair line crack. I then proceed with thicker superglue and then fill any gaps with fine sawdust with the thin glue dribbled over it.

Thanks Sean,
I haven't heard of that technique before, but completely see the logic in the process.
Could you advise if this method suited to all sizes of split timbers or for smaller breaks?

Thanks
Simon

Wood glue will not dry in a confined space....
If there is a gap in the wood it will fill with wood glue and skin off, like putting the top back on the glue pot , it will remain wet.
If you need to fill gaps, and you need strength use cascamite wood adhesive, and dowel/mortise the repair.

Back