Gaming

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else like the online world of shooting cartoon people with a cartoon gun ?.

I've been doing this since time began and I still cant hit the broad side of a barn :LOL:
Currently its Planetside 2, and prior it was Arma3, and the battlefield series.

I spent years on BF2, probably longer than I should and missed a swath of titles, but then changed to Arma3, but couldnt get on with it.
Eventually I found Planetside 2, and while the nuances of the game still elude me, I do enjoy giant battles involving hundreds per team(3 teams) with all the land and air elements I've found make it great to play.
Maps are big, but the non earth surrounding makes it interesting to move around in. Night games I like the most as the laser effect of the weapons show up best and with hundreds of multicoloured streams crossing this way and that it's really visual.

Last week, I managed to stay alive for nearly 3 minutes, a record for me. :LOL:

Have played mil sims since OP Flashpoint. Love Arma. Used to use VBS (professional Arma) as an instructor. Spent years playing it, mission editing and model and map making. Used to have good long talks with Bushlurker about his 1:1 Scotland map. Best game out there once you take the 6 months learning curve to get the full experience and play properly oh and have a decent rig to play on _ which I don't at the moment 😭

Have played maps with over 600 RL players including actual tank crews working together that was cool

More of an AC/TR/ES player myself. Can't do anything FPS because I'm absolutely hopeless at co-ordination.

I gave up online playing years ago.
People who cheat online or get aggressive when you kill them ruins the game.
Rather play against the computer so that’s my I play on a PS2 or Nintendo NES.

I just pay the broadband bill so my 2 sons can shoot the world up :oops:
I have to admit over the last 8 years or so the gameplay has changed unbelievably & whilst I have no interest in playing the games I enjoy occasionally watching the lads playing the different games

Been playing vg's since zx spectrum was a thing.

I'm more of a story over sports kind of gamer now. That and Path of Exile/Diablo/Torchlight/Grim Dawn... Havent played competitively since q2 and original unreal were a new thing, was quite good at railing and rocket jumps. Tried playing fps on consoles - big nope, fps with a gamepad sucks, +too many squeakers. I generally written off any console gaming, except switch. Switch is cool :D (also, go pcmasterrace) Tried playing modern fps on pc - super toxic crowd, cant be bothered to be called N/D/C/G words all day by squeakers online. Have 2 squeakers of my own in the house, thank you very much...

These days i notice me playing less and less, if i play something its gonna be single player, with a story. And i usually just hack it to progress quicker (god mode, HP/MP, inf this or that, etc...) Used to be nice to spend 50+ hours on single run through.

I am like threedee in that I prefer story driven single player games. I play games to escape and relax, I treat it more like an interactive movie or book than anything.
Been playing cyberpunk 2077 ( onPC) which is great despite the bugs. I think if it was not overhyped people would be happier with it and they should not have released it on ps4 /old xbox at all.
I have tried online shooters but I am not good enough at them for it to be fun.

I also like games like anno, and does anyone remember emperor rise of the middle kingdom, a classic.

Ollie

I used to enjoy a bit of gaming back in the day going right back to Manic Miner and Jetpac etc.

Never played anything serious, I was more into Halo, CoD, Tomb Raider etc and it was before there was much online stuff.

I have an 11yr old and 8yr old who obviously enjoy a bit of Fortnite, I try and take them on but they easily beat me every time. One of the games of the moment seems to be Among Us, I can't believe how loud and animated the kids get over such a simple game, I also can't believe how good my 8yr old is at lying but convincing people he is telling the truth 😮

One game I do like to play with the kids is Minecraft, we have great fun building some amazing structures together.

The only game I am interested in these days is Assetto Corsa. A racy sim that has recently been updated with a thing called Content Manger that opens it up with more tracks and cars.
Free, with a pay what you want upgrade.

A few laps round Nordshleife is a test of your motor skills and is very enjoyable. I beat my personal best lap time with a 05.31.723 in an old Ferrari last night.

Counter strike years ago when "the boy" was at home, just chess.com nowadays.

One game I do like to play with the kids is Minecraft, we have great fun building some amazing structures together.
One of the guys on my bike forum(Dave) is a programmer for that(Last time we spoke on a meet, he said something about working with them but in truth i cant say for sure.. Started off as a founding member of the company that made the first grand theft, and also Lemmings.
we share a love of early Hope tech products - First cable/hydraulic braking systems for bikes.
Although I've sold much of my collection to fund an Ebike, I've still a number of Hope prototypes in my sadly diminished collection.

I'm too busy in my workshop making things
Not at 11pm :confused: Although If I could be in my workshop at 11pm, I would, but I fear the neighbours above might be a tad unhappy about me thicknessing oak at that time :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
BIG gamer here - longtime Planetside 2 / Path of Exile / torchlight / Diablo (just to name those mentioned here) player alongside a great many major title games from almost every genre (except football).

Also in my current "playlist" - No mans sky, Star Citizen (KS backer), Elder Scrolls Online, War Thunder, Space Engineers, Tyranny (RPG, VERY interesting take on the genre and worth a look) and replaying the Metro 2033 series from the start, but using the redux variants, to name a few. My steam list is obcenely large and that's not the only platform I use - GOG and Epic as well - and I'm not even the worst among my social group, I know people with far more games than I.

(feel free to PM me if you also play any of those - LOL I'm only a "nutter" in here because rorschach makes my blood boil with his BS - I'm quite different when gaming, you'd be surprised)

I did stop playing fast paced twitch style FPS games a while ago though such as fortnite, that even I have absolutely no interest in sinking 10 hours a day into that, the way streamers do, although the money would be nice :)

I only play my consoles occasionally for RPG's, as I also agree FPS games on a console is utter pants, and is virtually impossible as a stealth / sniper which is my preferred playstyle.

It's a wonder I get anything done at all!

I'll play most things, and even manage to finish a few now and again :), but never understood why people would cheat themselves out of playtime "just to get it done" why? If the game isn't doing it for me, I stop, move on and maybe give it another try later - using cheat codes and god mode just makes me wonder why bother at all; is it a "I'm going to finish this game, even though I hate it, because I paid for it" mentality or something else?

Arma is one game I've not ever played, though have watched many YT vids of it - seems the kind of game that needs a decent squad of people to get the best from it, rather than silly person randoms queued up on a server.

LOL Squeakers, not heard that before - but I've met quite a few people under 16 whom are pretty savvy - there are young people I've met playing Eve Online (a notoriously difficult and mentally challenging game to get into which I've been playing since 2009) that if they apply skills they have learned in the game to RL, will do well.

As a balance to that, the most ruthless S.O.B I know in Eve Online is... 87! I hope I'm still gaming at 87.

Gaming excercises the mind in ways that watching TV or even playing many sports, just cannot.

Just to counter those with negative viewpoints of gaming like Septic, sorry Spectric and Bourbon, for me the online community is a way to connect with people in a way I find difficult offline, and have met a great many very interesting people with some of those friendships lasting to this day, long after we have moved on from playing that game.

There are gamers for whom gaming is the ONLY way to connect to the outside world.

I'm a VERY different person online, confident and a leader of men and women - yes really - I say that without boast, it's just a fact**, and has been for many years and I think is also true of a great many other "gamers"; people whom the real world dismiss, but whose virtual presence commands thousands of real life people as happens often in games like Eve Online.

** people keep giving me a job / position in the command heirarchy, which I take as a very serious commitment and in several instances, have abdicated the Guild Master / Corp Leader / Outfit Commander position in favor of giving it to me, so I guess I must be pretty good at it.

I just wish I was 40 years younger, then I might get to experience an early version of "The Oasis" from the film "Ready Player One" - though I'm still regularly awed by some new games - though the debacle around Cyberpunk 2077 is why I NEVER prepurchase a game and also never play a newly released game on PC anymore, I'll wait 6 months or even a year - because the recent(ish) practice of dev houses releasing games that are little better than a beta (not including all those "early access" titles) has become all pervading, seemingly even for self publishing houses like CD Projekt Red, whom should bloody well have known better!

Last edited:
though the debacle around Cyberpunk 2077 is why I NEVER prepurchase a game and also never play a newly released game on PC anymore, I'll wait 6 months or even a year - because the recent(ish) practice of dev houses releasing games that are little better than a beta (not including all those "early access" titles) has become all pervading, seemingly even for self publishing houses like CD Projekt Red, whom should bloody well have known better!

The whole situation with CD Projekt holding back console review copies, or issuing embargoes was a warning sign. Even though, they replied pre release on twitter that it ran 'surprisingly well' on last gen consoles. The following 'apologies' (whilst basically blaming the testing team) have really put me off buying CP2077, which is a shame. I hope they can redeem themselves, much like the dev team behind no mans sky managed. That is a good game now.

Bethesda, are almost as bad. I love the Fallout and Elder Scrolls franchises, putting in a stupid amount of hours into Fallout 3 and Skyrim especially but they have really showed themselves in a bad light over the last few years. I recall the Fallout 76 launch if you actually bough the disc version. Upon inserting the disc, you were greeted with a gigantic 50+gb day one patch:LOL:. Feel like I dodged a bullet with not purchasing that.

I don't play as much now, I still sometimes play WOW (started a bit late in 2007) and a few games on my console like Forza Horizon 4, Minecraft and D2 (which I'm terrible at). I'm currently on another play through of Control in between shifts on Snowrunner.
I'm sure my interest will be rekindled when the next Mass Effect (hopefully) and Elder Scrolls games are released.

Back