• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

G Threads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for some plumbing fittings and find many which are specified as having G threads, such as G1 or G3/4. I don't know what that means. Every explanation I can find online dives straight in to very in-depth data without giving the very simple explanation I want. Is this the same as a "normal" 1 inch or 3/4 inch (for example) plumbing fitting as found on typical items like taps, black iron couplers, Tees etc?
To be as clear as I can be given my lack of knowledge, I need to know if a G thread is compatible with threaded non-compression household plumbing fittings.

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Google is your friend.
BSP distinguishes between two types of threads. These are parallel threads (BSPP), which have a constant diameter, which are known a G threads, and taper threads (BSPT), whose diameter increases or decreases along the length of the thread, known as R threads.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
Phil, thanks for responding but I am no further forward. You claim that Google is my friend but as I tried to explain, everything Google finds dives in to a lot of detail without giving me a clear answer. Your response is the same. I am still left with the simple question of whether G threads are compatible with common plumbing fittings. The answer is Yes or No so I guess I have a 50/50 chance ...