G-Plan Table refurb.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheTiddles":3o1i1wi0 said:
A decent ROS was one of the few tools I’ve bought where I immediately kicked myself for not buying one years before, it’s just so good
(A bandsaw was another, FYI)
Aidan

I bought the decent size band-saw in October 2018 - once I'd built a big enough workshop to accommodate it :)

flh801978":27cd9bqs said:
J-G
as i said in my post that awful top took only 20 mins with a ROS to finish ready to oil even the centre leaf took only 5 mins to sand off
Ian
It took me a little longer than 20 minutes but the main table top has had one sanding at 120g and the 'local' damage has completely disappeared. It was somewhat disconcerting to find that after an initial sanding I discovered many minor scratch marks and a few 'dings' - all of which I was able to eliminate using the techniques I saw in the Dashner Design & Restoration link Kev D pointed me to - ie. damp kitchen roll and soldering iron .... worked a treat!

I wetted the whole surface to raise the grain and wiped off the excess with kitchen towel which removed a light brown slurry. I'm going to give it another sand at 120g and yet another at 240g after which I hope to be ready for finishing with the Polyvine.

I'm in two minds as to whether to strip the centre leaf (which has no damage). The fact that it is unlikely that I'll get a good match anyway makes me think that it might be better to leave well alone. So I'll wait until I've applied the finish to the main leaves before committing myself.

Incidentally, the first thing I did was to make an adaptor for the ROS outlet to fit my VAX - the job was totally dust free. :) Pleased I went for the Makita rather than a Bosch which looks to have an outlet dedicated to the dust collector.

Attachments

• Damage repair.png
    Damage repair.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back