• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

G Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
I use record G clamps a lot but thought I'd treat myself to a few modern one-handed pistol type. Not for heavy work just for holding straight edges for circ saw or router cuts, etc.
Any particular recommendations?

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I just use the Irwin blue ones. You can change the heads around and use them for pushing things apart too.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
ALDI & LIDL both have reasonable quality clamps from time to time . . . cheap as chips, but they do work

Peri

Established Member
Reaction score
The cheap Irwin ones are fine for light use (I have a dozen or two), but if you want the sort of pressure a g-clamp provides you need the sturdier ones.

Lightweight v medium duty
.jpg

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
I have both the Wolfcraft clamps (good and recommended) the irwin clamps (ok but wouldn't buy any more) and a load of old G cramps and sash clamps. I still prefer the feel and use of the threaded G and sash clamps, I just think you have more control over the pressure you're applying.

Sporky McGuffin

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score

Tony Zaffuto

Established Member
Reaction score
I like the Bessey Quikklamps. The trigger is in line with the bar and is more natural to set/tighten for those times when you have one hand holding something together and the other hand using the clamp.

Spectric

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I was recommended the Bessey one handed clamps by someone on these forums and can say what a great product, really usefull and ideal for quick clamping with just one hand leaving the other free to hold the job, compared to a G clamp which I used a lot in metalwork they are so easy to use.

John Brown

Social media influenza
Reaction score
Steer clear of any cheap ones which have the moveable grip on the other side of the fixed one. In my experience they fail quickly. The Irwin ones shown are good. I have several in different sizes, and I have used and abused them for years.

Insanity

Established Member
Reaction score
ALDI & LIDL both have reasonable quality clamps from time to time . . . cheap as chips, but they do work
No, I bought 4 of them, 3 of them snapped at the trigger. Maybe I got a bad batch.

I also have the cheapo Irwins, and the screws come loose, and you lose them! (can probably fix that issue with thread lock). Also when you snap them out of clamping pressure, they tend to hurt you! (These are the cheapest light duty ones though) not to be confused with heavy duty, which are far superior.

TomGW

Established Member
Reaction score
+1 for the Wolfcraft. I have a few of these plus one-offs of various others. The Wolfcraft are the only one that I have bought more of.

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
I also have the cheapo Irwins, and the screws come loose, and you lose them! (can probably fix that issue with thread lock). Also when you snap them out of clamping pressure, they tend to hurt you! (These are the cheapest light duty ones though) not to be confused with heavy duty, which are far superior.
If you squeeze the grips as if to tighten, then pull the release trigger while squeezing, most all quick clamps release much more easily without that vicious slap to the trigger finger.

I'm a fan of the lightweight one handed clamps too. They get the most use. Buy pairs or fours in various sizes from 6" opening upto the 450 and 600mm ones.
Irwin blue are easy to use and v light. They are on promo regularly in packs of two .
Irwin extreme far heavier and stronger.
I would like to try the orange Jorgensen ones too. They do a medium duty quick clamp including 18, 24 and 36" sizes. These bigger sizes are useful and the heavier duty build is more durable than the lightweight Irwins.
I've recently been introduced to some really heavy duty clamps from Piher (Spain). Very impressive. Stronger and easier than G cramps. They do lightweight ones too and if I saw those anywhere, I'd be tempted.
If you use a tracksaw, then the Bessey or Axminster steel clamps with a red or blue lever made for clamping the rail are quick and strong with a 5 or 6 inch opening - not just for the saw track. They are not one hand use though. The jaw slides too freely on the bar until put under pressure.

Lidl / aldi clamps are "the wrong way round" and not so nice to use as Irwin etc. But they're such good value you can't pass up buying a few (never too many clamps, right ?). They only need to help out on a couple of jobs to pay for themselves.

stuart little

Established Member
Reaction score
I have both the Wolfcraft clamps (good and recommended) the irwin clamps (ok but wouldn't buy any more) and a load of old G cramps and sash clamps. I still prefer the feel and use of the threaded G and sash clamps, I just think you have more control over the pressure you're applying.
Same here, Wolf a lot better than Irwin - my Irwins are starting to lose grip, clamp them up then after a short time hey fall off. Binned one a few days ago, then had second thoughts, so changed it to a permanent spreader.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
No, I bought 4 of them, 3 of them snapped at the trigger. Maybe I got a bad batch.

Same experience, all 4 of mine failed at the same place in the handle, looking at the Aldi images the design is unchanged. I appreciate they are for light tasks but when they fail with a one handed squeeze how do you know what it allowable pressure?

furnace

Established Member
Reaction score
Same experience, all 4 of mine failed at the same place in the handle, looking at the Aldi images the design is unchanged. I appreciate they are for light tasks but when they fail with a one handed squeeze how do you know what it allowable pressure?
I bought some Aldi ones for £5 and they didn't exert sufficient pressure. Having dismantled them, I came to the conclusion the steel on the internal sliding 'paddles' was too soft to grip the shaft. Maybe that was deliberate to avoid the plastic handle snapping!
The 25yr old Wolf ones I have still work perfectly.
Apart from the one whose plastic handle snapped.
When it collided with an angry excavator bucket.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
If you squeeze the grips as if to tighten, then pull the release trigger while squeezing, most all quick clamps release much more easily without that vicious slap to the trigger finger.
That's a useful tip, I always cringe as I release the irwins as you're never quite sure how much kickback you get.

Latest posts