FWW Video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
I've received an email from Taunton about loose tenons.

Ye gods.

Now I'm a fan of loose tenons and have been long before the Domino came along, so I watched the video.

Lots of good theory, but the tablesaw discipline - I despair. No guard, no RK, long fence for ripping, reaching over a spinning blade. At least he touted the benefits of a ZCI and a rather inadequate push-stick.

I know it was filmed 12 years ago, but it is being promoted today. It is beginners who are drawn towards this stuff and they are presented with a barrage of unnecessarily risky practices, and, because it come from a venerable source such as FWW, they think it is the right way to do it.

It is not the right way guys, learn better practices before you pay the price of "Learning On The Job".

Trevanion":3ejacfy1 said:
Yes, these days you need a two meter push stick.
Ha ha, I could do with a 2 metre push stick to keep the **** Wombles at a safe distance at the moment

No worries, we have safety pushers here in the us, too, and a giant barrage of safety products.

Plus, we had norm. Put on your safety glasses and you're invincible.

I've just seen this and immediately thought "Who would appreciate the outstanding technique most?" The best bit is about 20 second in.

[youtube]3ocv5i4ZF8o[/youtube]

Trainee neophyte":3gprdq15 said:
I've just seen this and immediately thought "Who would appreciate the outstanding technique most?" The best bit is about 20 second in.

[youtube]3ocv5i4ZF8o[/youtube]

Well, at least he had his 2x strips of wood to support the thin side, without them it might have been risky.

Trainee neophyte":1tn89ovy said:

I assume all the spraying without a mask is to make his lungs look like the embedded sections in the final frames?

where was the lung section table man videoing? Folgers, you'd see that in the US. I see a Lidl bag in the background, though, and that's not common here (I think they're starting to build stores here, but just in spots).

not many spell "colour" here, either. pour out finishes are common on tables here. I haven't seen too much of the concrete type construction (epoxy is the cement, wood is the aggregate) - all of it, I guess is very durable but it's harsh looking.

D_W":extatl4g said:
No worries, we have safety pushers here in the us, too, and a giant barrage of safety products.

Plus, we had norm. Put on your safety glasses and you're invincible.

By the way, this safety discussion isn't completely eliminated in the states. We have a magazine writer who believes that all table saws should be illegal. He hasn't been writing regularly in recent times, though. I unsubscribed from all of the woodworking magazines were 10 years ago, so as far as the FWW guy goes, I sort of recognize the way he sounds (east cost, pennsylvania, or perhaps somewhere slightly south), but I've never seen the actual guy before.

PWW asked me to write a magazine article in 2012, which suggested to me that perhaps I'd better look elsewhere for information.

Trainee neophyte":3khy26hg said:
The best bit is about 20 second in.

He's got a riving knife fitted so that automatically makes him immortal. He'll still pish off the pushstick crusader though.

qF2Ea8H.png

Trevanion":bfvs5ukh said:
Trainee neophyte":bfvs5ukh said:
The best bit is about 20 second in.

He's got a riving knife fitted so that automatically makes him immortal. He'll still pish off the pushstick crusader though.

qF2Ea8H.png

I think you'll find he has two perfectly serviceable pushsticks; admittedly he is using them as shims, but it's almost the same.

I may be wrong, but I think they might be Greek. It's actually pretty high-level health and safety for Greece, so I might be making assumptions. The guy spraying wasn't smoking at the same time, so it's not guaranteed.

Years ago, there was a fellow somewhere in central america sizing wood into specific blocks. The machine that he had appeared to be a shaper with a giant circular blade mounted, no guard. Of course, the video showed successful use, but it looked like an invitation to either sever a limb or launch something into space.

Recently I watched a Rob Cosman video of him doing a tour of the machines in his new shop. He is very keen on the sawstop table saws. He has old Wadkins etc but for a pro table saw he says why would you buy anything other than sawstop? He may have a point.

Back