FWW article on tuning bandsaws ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the sort of article I like to read! It suggests that "a single blade can handle mosts tasks", as well "as it's better to under-tension your blade" and that "blade drift should be sorted by tracking not adjusting rip fences". All information contrary to what I've read, but sort of in line with my limited experiences. I'm a relative newcomer to bandsaws and I welcome all this advice - especially the one blades suits all argument (because I'm lazy). (That recommended blade by the way is a well welded 1/2" 3 tpi skip blade).
But what do people reckon - do you agree with the article (if you've read it) from your own experiences? Do you bother changing blades. If not what blade do you have in your bandsaw now?
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon

From my experience, one blade is not enough. If you are cutting a small redius, you need a smaller blade. But having said that, I keep a 1/2" 3 tooth blade on my band saw most of the time. (I guess I am lazy too). It is great for resawing. Be sure and get a good blade as that makes a world of differance.
Hope this helps
Travis

I've just read the article, prompted by this thread. I dunno. He's been using a bandsaw longer than I've been alive, so who am I to argue? I do wonder if he's not an expert on the characteristics of his particular bandsaw though - as he seems to have had it for 30 years. For instance, doesn't the recommended position of the blade on the wheel vary from saw to saw? At least I thought so. Nothing wrong with being an expert on your own machine, but I'm not sure about dressing it up as knowing everything there is to know about using every bandsaw ever made. And yes, I'm lazy too. :oops: I tend to stick with a 1/2" 4 tpi on the Elu all the time, but no way would I claim it's the ideal blade for all the tasks I do because it's simply not true. It's a good compromise though, at least for me. I'm trying to be more careful on the Jet, but so far I've only used a re-saw blade on it, although I have a 8tpi (?) 1/2" to try for more all-purpose use as suggested by the DureEdge guy. If I ever get back to woodworking, that is... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I'm pretty much a one-blade-for-all-jobs guy too. Lazy? Yes, but since I have to dismantle most of my machine to get the new blade on, it's understandable I reckon :roll:
I currently have a 1/4" 6tpi since the 1/2" broke a few months ago. And I quite happily resaw 6" maple with it.... :shock: Bizarre! Not even a DureEdge.
I haven't seen the article, but it's always nice to find something contrary to established thought that re-affirms what we'd prefer to wish was established thought. :wink:
Sounds like Alf's on the money with this one.

Thanks folks. I guess what you are all saying pretty much backs up the article - but I agree with Alf - it must depend on the bandsaw a little.
I'm using a Dureedge 1/2" 6 tpi skip blade but may change it to a 3 tpi based on the article and the comments here. I have to say maybe it because it's new, but my saw with the 3 blades I've tried in it doesn't seem to drift if I have the blade centred on the top wheels.
And I definately find the 1/2" too wide for most curve cutting - but I still try and make do!
Ok some nice links there too - thanks.
Cheers
Gidon

Back