Fuse problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p111dom

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been restoring an old radio and in testing the voltage of an internal bulb I appear to have blown the fuse. Not a problem you might think but it's a 20mm by 5mm (standard) but its only 35mA and I can't find that size anywhere. Any ideas?

Hi,

I have some 80mA 20mm fuses, its a little over twice the rating but the rating is very small so should still blow in the event of a problem.
Yours if you want them.
Pete

Yep tried them and CPC and Maplin and EBay. The closest I can find is either 40mA or 32mA but no 35's. Not sure if either are close enough. Any other ideas?

Thanks Pete. Can't really afford to let the internals get damaged due to the wrong fuse. I can get a bit closer to the 35 but am just unsure. The board post fuse is not viewable so I can't see what's there to see if there's anything amp critical. I don't have the knowledge to make an educated guess either. "Shoukd be ok" will be good enough for me from someone up on electronics but that isn't me.

Hi, p111dom

I would go for the 40mA its close enough.

Pete (ex tv enginer/juke box engineer/IT technician/man who messes about with electronics)

Hi Dom

Long time no hear. I will ask the technician in the workshop next door. The supply xray machines to vets and chiropractors and repair them down to component level, and if he doesnt have one they will he will certainly know where to get one. He is a nice bloke and will give me a fuse if they have one. It might be a day or 2 if they are all out servicing machines. Im not too far away from you in Glenrothes so its easy enough for you to pick it up if I can get one (and see the laser in action as well) In the good old days a quick trip to Tandy would have solved it.

Mike

Hi Dom
Spoke to the technician this morning, smallest fuse he has of this size is 500mA. He suggested Maplins or RS.

Cheers

Mike

Oddly I got hold of a 20mA fuse that works but I'm expecting it to pop any minute. Have ordered some 40mA off eBay. Hopefully that should sort it. Next up will be the bulb. Don't know what to do there either as it's a real odd one that's soldered to a mini board. The plan was to replace it with a lamp holder and a suitably rated bulb but whenever I try to measure the voltage across the blown lamp with a voltmeter, this blows the fuse. There's no rating on the lamp either and it's a real odd looking, almost a hand blown sweet shaped bulb. Still I've ordered 10 fuses so hopefully that's enough to get a reading for the bulb.

Hi, Dom

Possibly your meter is drawing enough current to blow the fuse, use a digital volt meter.

Pete

That's what I figured Pete. At 35mA it doesn't take a lot to blow it. Don't have a digital meter. Maybe work have one and I can take it there. I figured I'd just try as small a lamp as I could get and work up till either the light given off was acceptable or the fuse blew. Is kind of cheaper than buying a digital meter.

Back