Further P/T questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeS

Established Member
Reaction score
A while ago I posted this thread, in which I asked about a problem with my cheap second-hand P/T:

topic55791.html

I finally sorted this (kind of) today, so I thought I should give an update, even though it's an old thread by now...

I had obtained a replacement set of locking bolts before Christmas, but I'd been asked politely to not go back in the garage so much until the weather at least got above freezing (read: 15 C), so I didn't get around to having a go at it until today.

I took a Dremel cutting disc (well... actually about eight Dremel cutting discs...) to the shaft of each stuck bolt in turn, and after cutting half-way through most of them came loose enough to undo; a couple needed cutting all the way off and the shafts boring out.

Anyway. The problem is now that I've now managed to re-set the blades (tightening them nowhere near as much, this time), and the planer part works fine... so long as I have the infeed table set to 1mm cut or more! I'd rather take material off a little slower if possible, but if I raise it further than that, the blades catch on it when the cutting head turns.

Now, as I understand it, this unit doesn't have an infeed table adjustment, officially; there's no mention of it in the manual, and no likely-looking bolts or knobs or anything. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to hear it - I seem to recall a couple of other forum members had a similar model!

Is it feasible to just shim the table, either below where it's mounted or even on top? If I got a 1mm sheet of steel, and just epoxied that to the top of the table, that should be similar to just having the table 1mm higher, right? Aside from potential problems getting it flat and coplanar, am I missing anything? A sheet of steel is a lot cheaper than a new P/T! ;-)

Failing that, I'm almost tempted to just get a second pair of blades, and then raise the infeed table 'into' these ones, the table's only aluminium and the blades are steel, so if I only raise it a tiny amount at a time I would expect the blades to shave bits off of it... but of course, I'm nervous that it may do untold damage to the rest of the machine, be overly dangerous, potentially leave Aluminium shavings/burrs inside the machine to damage wood I run through it, etc.

Maybe I should just ask for recommendations for a replacement, but I'm not sure an economical small P/T with an induction motor even exists!

Assuming that you have no access to metal working machinery which would appear to be the case, I would remove the infeed table and remove the required amount of metal using fine cuts with a router on low speed.
Dress the resulting sharp edges with a file to give a slight bevel and refit.

Bob

9fingers":1264roxz said:
I would remove the infeed table and remove the required amount of metal using fine cuts with a router on low speed.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's certainly worth a try - if I can work out how to remove the infeed table! I'll have another look this evening, see if I'm missing anything obvious.

It's OK to rout aluminium, then? I'd wondered previously, but I've never dared try it...

(And yes, my metalworking equipment extends to a couple of drill bits and a tap and die set.)

I don't really like to rout aluminium but if you are careful it is OK certainly a lot better than trying to cut it full width with planer knives.

Clamp a guide onto the table and take of 1/2mm at a time. Be prepared to be showered with hot angry bits of aluminium!

Bob

I've looked back at the original post of yours Jake and noted that it is a SIP 01497. Not being familiar with it I Google using that model number, and it would seem to have infeed tasble adjustment. If not what is that knob on the front of the infeed table please?

Roy.

Is this it?

http://images.toolstop.co.uk/product/ad ... 17607f.jpg

Digit":1na1eev4 said:
I've looked back at the original post of yours Jake and noted that it is a SIP 01497. Not being familiar with it I Google using that model number, and it would seem to have infeed tasble adjustment. If not what is that knob on the front of the infeed table please?

That is the right planer, and... well, it has "infeed adjustment" in the sense that I can move the infeed table up and down, the problem is that moving it upward also moves it forward, and if I move it up to a point within 1mm or less of the outfeed, the blades foul the edge of the infeed table.

What it doesn't have is the option that its bigger brothers seem to have, from seeing the manuals of other clones online, which is to adjust the infeed table's zero position - to move it up or down without turning that handle, so as to allow me to adjust it such that it's possible to move the table up to close to the same level as the outfeed without the blades hitting the edge. I'd rather not have to take off as much as a millimetre every time I run a bit of stock over the planer, and I'm worried from a safety point of view that every time I adjust the table I have to unplug it and rotate the cutting head with my hand to check clearance... sooner or later I'm going to be accidentally rotating it without unplugging it first and as much as it does have an NVR switch, I'd rather not trust my fingers to electronics!

Still, turning it over and peering inside the thicknesser part I've identified some potential infeed-attachment candidates, it looks like I'll have to take the sides off and the bolts should be accessible from there, so I'll probably have a go at Bob's plan at the weekend.

Why not simply take the leading edge of of the infeed table?

Roy.

Z-Z-Z-Z-Z
asleep-045.gif

Roy.

Back