Furniture scriber branding outcome.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philip sewell

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought people who contributed to my thread regarding branding the furniture scriber I've designed would like to know the outcome. After much thought I opted for using my url to go on the side of the scribers (for reasons not worth going into again).

I decided to have a stamp made which wasn't cheap but I'm pleased with the results. Apart from giving a quality feel to the tool I can do the branding myself rather than involving a third party which can be problematic. The company I used was Chalco Stamp and Die.

I ended up purchasing a second hand hydraulic press as the press I have isn't man enough which meant a trip up to Sheffield but I got it for a real bargain and it will come in useful for other jobs in the workshop.

I've added a thinner version of the scriber to the range so there are now three to choose from.

Thanks for all the people who contributed to the development of this tool. If you remember the first version had a wingnut to tighten the delrin body and a woodscrew to hold the pencil (my attempt to make it as cheap as possible) but I was quite rightly castigated!

I've included an image of the original scriber I made many years ago which started this all off.
Phil.
tooleypark.com

Attachments

• scribe-logo-for-forum.jpg
    scribe-logo-for-forum.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 92
  • scriber-2.jpg
    scriber-2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 93
  • original-scriber.jpg
    original-scriber.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 81
How much pressure are you having to use to impress the stamp?

Thanks for all the people who contributed to the development of this tool. If you remember the first version had a wingnut to tighten the delrin body and a woodscrew to hold the pencil (my attempt to make it as cheap as possible) but I was quite rightly castigated!

perfect example though of making something as cheaply as possible to test the concept and the interest in its functionality. I think that you have a nice looking product now, and I could see a future figured timber edition for the 5 year anniversary and perhaps a limited edition bronze version for your 10 year anniversary

These look brilliant compared to the last ones, they really look quality now. How much are you selling them for? And are you offering ukworkshop members a discount? 👍

Looks good, was looking to buy one, but the link on you're page dosent seem to be working

Adidat

Thanks for all the favourable comments chaps.
Here are some images of the press I've bought and the jig I made for repeat position and a quick video.

Ollie the hole for the pencil is 8mm

Marcus the pressure on the clock is mpa ( I'm not sure what this is and how it equates to psi) but I'm pressing to 5

Adidat this should take you to the shop page https://tooleypark.com/shop/
This page is more general about the scriber Scriber Range – Tooley Park Furniture

Depending on how things develop I have the option of adding different coloured delrin pencil holders to the range. It's twice the price of black so they would be slightly more expensive.
Do you think colour options would be a good idea (it would only be 2 other colours probably) or not worth bothering with?
As always I appreciate the input.

Thanks
Phil.

press-for-forum.jpg
clock-for-forum.jpg

nicely done Philip, any chance I can order a replica of the first one though? it's more in keeping with the aesthetic of my workshop. (just kidding).

Just one critical question, Phil. Is it CNC machined from aircraft-grade aluminium? If not, I couldn’t even consider using one!!;)

5MPa (Mega Pascals) = 725PSI, approx 50 x atmospheric pressure. 1 Pascal is 1N/m2 or 10.1g/m2, 5MPa = 510t/m2. But that is just the pressure in the hydraulic system, you'd need to consider the area of the piston this force acts on and then the focus of this pressure on the imprinted area.

Back