Furniture reviver and white oil.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One for the traditional French polishers or old school woodworkers!
Roughly 10 years ago I had a recipe for a reviver that worked a treat and to this day I cannot find the folder I kept it in and I can't find anything even close to it (even on here!)! I have read the threads but like my recipe I had it handed down! So my question is, are there anyone out there with a recipe they keep close to their heart and would possibly share via private message?! Or if anyone has a recipe that really works without all the 'ah but if you use that then this won't be as effective' etc etc!
Apologies for the long post!
My last question is about white oil to lubricate the fad when rubbering. Can this be made up as all I can find seems to be leather feed or a mix of washing up liquid amongst others!
I have used linseed oil in the past but I'm sure there is something more original, better and smoother!
Many thanks for your patience if you made it this far!

Here is my recipe.
One third raw linseed oil, one third turpentine ( or white spirit ) one sixth meths and one sixth ammonia. Put into a strong glass bottle ( HP sauce or vinegar ) give it a good shake before use. Apply with a rag or fine wire wool. This reviver will remove ring and bloom marks from polished furniture. If a little more power is required then you can add a fine grit to the mix like flour emery or pumice powder.
Hope this helps.
As for white oil, I did use it for a time many years ago (you buy it, I'm fairly sure you can't make it!) but I went back to using raw linseed oil. you can use paraffin to lubricate the rubber but I have never tried it, perhaps I should! As for fairy liquid!!! Sounds nuts, where on earth did you get that from?

mrpercysnodgrass, thank you very much for your reply.
This sounds more familiar with what I was using before. I have searched the Internet for something close but couldn't find any tried, tested and regularly used without someone else saying theirs is better!
As for the fairy liquid madness I think that was more aimed as a mix for general cleaning rather than what I intended to use it for!
Again many thanks for your reply, very much appreciated!

+1 for @mrpercysnodgrass recipe but I never use Meths as have had a discernible trace of bluing in the finish on a couple of occasions over the years, all on blonde woods. My bottle is a jam jar. My ratios are 1 part linseed oil 2 parts turpentine and a tablespoon of amonia and a literal drop of lemon oil. Part sizes determined by eye for the jar it is going in.

@Droogs thanks mate, I've never used tinted meths for that very reason! I've heard people say it doesn't make a difference but I always buy it clear anyway so no need to change!
Thanks again.

Here is a recipe that I've used as a cleaner and restorer for old polish. I think it was listed in a book but can't find it now.
Pure Turpentine 200 ml
Meths 100 ml
Acetic acid (33%) 50 ml
Teepol (liquid soap) 25ml
Brasso 25ml
Ammonia .880 half a teaspoon
Some ingredients are not easy to obtain, I've never found teepol so use washing up liquid.

Here is a recipe that I've used as a cleaner and restorer for old polish. I think it was listed in a book but can't find it now.
Pure Turpentine 200 ml
Meths 100 ml
Acetic acid (33%) 50 ml
Teepol (liquid soap) 25ml
Brasso 25ml
Ammonia .880 half a teaspoon
Some ingredients are not easy to obtain, I've never found teepol so use washing up liquid.

Thanks very much Richard, it's always good to try different recipes as jobs differ. Strangely the household ammonia seems to be the difficult one to get!
Thanks again, Barry.

Back