Furniture philistine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
. . . had to post this . . . I went to great big shed full of secondhand furniture yesterday to look for a chest of drawers to clean/refurbish/upcycle/possibly paint to use in our house -

I was stunned to find that they were GLASS BEAD BLASTING MAHOGONY (and other) FURNITURE. That has to be a crime!

The "finish" as you may imagine was as rough as the proverbial badger's rear end. No attempt at sanding, just slashed over with matt acrylic varnish.

. . . had to post this . . . I went to great big shed full of secondhand furniture yesterday to look for a chest of drawers to clean/refurbish/upcycle/possibly paint to use in our house -

I was stunned to find that they were GLASS BEAD BLASTING MAHOGONY (and other) FURNITURE. That has to be a crime!

The "finish" as you may imagine was as rough as the proverbial badger's rear end. No attempt at sanding, just slashed over with matt acrylic varnish.
If bead blasting unsaleable furniture makes it saleable and hence it doesn't go to landfill, isn't that a good thing?

If bead blasting unsaleable furniture makes it saleable and hence it doesn't go to landfill, isn't that a good thing?
Yebbut - there are much better ways of stripping furniture which, arguably, would make it more saleable.

The same place offers furniture "as is" and will also paint to colour the buyer specifies for an extra cost (the paint finish on a couple of items I saw looked like it was a light scuff-sand and then painted)

Yebbut - there are much better ways of stripping furniture which, arguably, would make it more saleable.

The same place offers furniture "as is" and will also paint to colour the buyer specifies for an extra cost (the paint finish on a couple of items I saw looked like it was a light scuff-sand and then painted)
I think a lot of people either wouldn't notice how rough it looked or even think it was part of the "look". If it means a piece gets recycled that has to be a good thing.

I take the point about avoiding landfill, but bead blasting mahogany? Definitely a crime in my book!
There were some oak pieces that had been blasted too - including some ornate metal surface hinges and knobs that they didn't bother to remove from a sideboard - blasting pine would probably end with a pile of sawdaust 🤔

Last edited:
Rob, would you mind letting me know where this place is, as well. You and I are near neighbours, if it's close to me, I might take a wander to see what they've got.

Back