furniture and cabinetmaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We’ve talked about what we don’t like… what would we pay for?
Personally I can’t think of much that would be better than a video off YouTube from some of the good makers like Doucette and Wolfe or similar (just wish they made things more to my taste). Maybe more of the design options and alternatives considered that you only see as sketches on a table then it’s off to a machine.

my own likes are in depth articles concerning "a technique". I remember one about built ins from fww I've still got a print of it somewhere. it was a great in depth article not covering everything but the essentials really strongly. another fww one was about making curved panels using a vac bag. it started by veneering a flat panel the issue before and finished by making a small cupboard. the glue comparison was also excellent and eye opening. also very in depth and scientific. yes there's far to many knit your own crosscut sled articles but the content is mostly high.(imho)
I don't want to dismiss uk mags but they just don't have the budget( or contributors ) to reach those highs.
fww still has excellent tool reviews that actually carry weight. in UK mags everything is " excellent" because they don't want to upset advertisers.
I do like lost art press

F&C dropped the letters page mainly because they got so few letters.

I cancelled my sub to FW many years ago for two reasons. First because it was stuffed full of shaker annd arts and crafts furniture and hideous New England highboys. Don't get me wrong, I love shaker and a & c and have made it but I'm now interested in contemporary. Second I couldn't stand its cavalier approach to safety.

I still have a sub to F&C but wonder why sometimes. Some of the stuff is good but the articles are often very poorly written. The problem is that the articles are written by makers and by and large makers are not good writers. So often I read something and think "well, I am sure you kow what you meant to convey about the process you are referring to, but the words you have used don't convey it in a way that is intelligable to me as an experienced maker".

JIm

I haven't read a mag in years. 20 or 30 years probably.

On my last visit to the UK (2019) I picked up a copy The Woodworker in WH Smiths, purely because of one article. I don't recall having bought a woodwork magazine before or since. I am unlikely to do so again unless killing time while bored at an airport or something. This is a subect I just do not associate with magazines - but then I rarely buy any magazine these days. The internet has taken over.

I ordered a copy of quercus the latest one, if I like it I'm going to subscribe and get more of them, it seems good but we'll see.

Try an issue of Quercus - reading it is an absorbing experience like woodworking itself. No advertisements to distract you. It really is unlike any woodworking mag I've read before.

Back