Fuming question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to fume some chestnut for a dressing table. The question is should I do the fuming before or after assembly?

My worries are that;

1. If I do the fuming after assembly there might be glue residue left near joints and that the wax finish on the inside of the cabinet will act as a barrier to the fumes leaving this area uncoloured.

2. If I do the fuming before assembly there might be a danger of the surface appearring patchy when finish sanding as the coulour presumably gradually fades with depth into the wood.

Any experiences, thoughts or past nightmares would be very helpful.

Ok as no one else seems to know I'll give my penny's worth, I've only fumed Oak but understand you can do same with Chestnut.
I think I would assemble first making sure to do a good clean up, not sure what you mean by wax inside? if you want to colour the inside then why not wax after fuming? If you've not used ammonia before don't under estimate the strength of the fumes, work out side in a breeze if possible a mask is ok but it gets the eyes as well!

Back