Fume extraction for metalworking?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The advantage of being able to catch the mist at source before it can get to your face is substantial, and certainly worth looking into...

But short of a lucky EBay Bid, they're probably out of the desired price range.

You could use an extractor or filter unit to act as one using ducting, as long as the powered bit could move sufficient air, which is definitely worth looking into whatever route OP goes down.
Absolutely, something like this would do (and I can imagine making one out of scrap plywood) Axminster Woodturner's Universal Dust Hood

I had a rummage around my "I'll keep it just in case" bucket last night, and came up with a 120mm PC fan, a 12V DC motor speed controller, and a 12VDC PSU. Squares of activated carbon filter foam are cheap, so that might be a better-than-nothing start (i.e. a DIY version of the Hakko solder fume extractor). I could always add more fans for more power - perhaps even one blowing across the mill to push fumes towards the filter + fan that was sucking (as pushing air tends to have more "range" than just trying to pull it).

I don't think my air fed mask (Trend Airshield Pro) has a filter option rated for gases, so it would definitely be the passive make with canister filters.

I'll take another look at where/how I might get a hole in the side of the garage. Indeed it would be the easiest solution to just vent such fumes.

I use a syntheticstraight cutting oil in my Harrison 140, its simply that soluble oil (suds) has a limited shelf life & needs to be changed regularly, Also tends to gum up with crud on the machine if its not used all the time. The straight oil leaves the machine pristine all the time. It smokes if you are doing heavy cuts but i have a small inline fan & 100mm flex pipe that deals with it.
I have also fitted a decent extraction system with 150mm ducting & 1200m3 pr hour centrifugal fan.
It was primarily installed for a laser cutter but is also used when im welding.
What you do have to watch is that you must allow for air intake into the building, my set up will pull the door shut once it gets about 4" ajar & you then really notice the pressure drop as it starts pulling the air out of the building. Gotta have an air intake too!

Yes, that is a concern. When we moved in I wanted to build a cyclonic separator for a 3hp impeller extractor unit, then eject the separated air outside (for the woodworking tools). But, given the garage is pretty well sealed with the door closed it would likely need a separate inlet vent. I suppose a low volume fume extractor might be OK, but it's not ideal.

Back