Full Face vs Half Face Mask

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spearojosh

Reaction score
I'm about to replace my existing mask. To date I have been using the 3m-4251 and replacing every few months. I'd now like to buy one where I can simply replace the filters when needed.

I have been looking at the 3M 6000 range but can't decide between half mask (6300) and full mask (6800). Is the extra eye protection worth the discomfort of a full face mask? Is dust that bad for the eyes that this is necessary?

For background I don't usually work with composite wood. I have a fein shop vac for power tools and am about to get a 2hp chip extractor for PT.

Thanks for advice

You don't need dust proof eye protection for wood. You need impact resistant eye wear to stop thrown chips hitting you in the eyes.

The full face mask avoids needing to wear separate goggles, which is handy, but it's very expensive compared to a half mask plus goggles. Also if the mask becomes scratched I'm not sure if it's replaceable or you have to buy a new mask.

Separate goggles can be replaced if scratched up for much less cost.

@ Rich

I think that was my reasoning too. Although I think the 3M 6800 full face masks come with a replaceable film, as per the ones you would put on your phone to prevent the screen from scratching.

Lazurus":2vklof29 said:
how about an Aircap, I have used one for years, very comfy and easy to wear.

Bit too pricey at £250.

I don't put a price on my health but I'm not convinced these type offer much more protection than passive masks

I have the full face. They seal better around your face than a half mask. I took a 3M fit test course once and 3M rated the breathing protection of a paper mask as 100, a half mask as 1,000 and a full face as 10,000. You can get the self sticking sheets to protect against scratches but unless you are grinding or sanding metal they don't scratch all that easily assuming you aren't taking them off and putting them on a pile of tools etc. To me it is more comfortable than separates especially having a bigger honker than most but they are heavier so if you have a bad neck like me you'll want to take breaks more often. The downside to them is you can't wear glasses. They don't seal around the arms and distort the frames. You have two choices in that case. One is to wear contact lenses (what I do) and the other is to get the 3M clip in frames and have your prescription fitted to them. They fit inside the mask, pressing against the rubber holding the mask shield. You should go to a supplier to have the mask fit tested to your face, a good idea with any mask, to get the proper size. You'll also want to wash them out regularly for your health (old mouldy snot farm) and store them or at least the cartridges in an airtight container to keep the cartridges from absorbing when you aren't using them.

Pete

I have a beard which makes a full face mask essential to keep the seal around the face, I find the Trend mask very comfortable especially in the summer where the air passing down the face is quite refreshing.

MikeJhn":lhsnjczt said:
I have a beard which makes a full face mask essential to keep the seal around the face, ........

Mike a beard makes it impossible to get a seal at all unless you smear enough petroleum jelly in your beard to fill all the spaces in the hair. Even a couple days of whisker growth is enough to stop it from sealing. Get a proper fit test done and a full face mask over a beard will fail every time.

The powered respirators like the Trend rely on positive air pressure in the unit keeping the dust out.

Pete

Pete the Trend air pro mask is about the best reasonably priced unit available, it has a full skirt on the underside that fits the neck and keeps out all the dust in my amateur workshop that is needed, fit test has been done and it's quite impressive in it's effectiveness compared to a full hood which is overkill IMO for a part time workshop.

The terminology is the problem here. You are calling the Trend powered respirator a full face mask where this thread is about this kind of mask. https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/compan ... 206&rt=rud There is no motor or battery just you sucking air through a cartridge filter selected for the type of protection needed. They aren't shown fitted in the link I gave. Without the supplied air the full face has to have a good seal to the face to work properly and a beard screws that up. The Trend is a powered air purifying respirator, abbreviated to PAPR and will work for bearded folk.
Pete

No it's your interpretation which is the problem, I said in my post four up from here that because I have a beard a full face mask is essential and the air passing down the face is quite refreshing which indicates that it was the powered mask I was referring too, the thread is about "Re: Full Face vs Half Face Mask" I gave an opinion based on my own findings.

I've had a beard for a long time and have always used a half mask. I should really look into getting a full mask.
It makes me cringe when I recall my apprenticeship, cutting MDF and the foreman saying we'd best wear 2 paper masks each :| 20 years of smoking probably didn't help much either.

I apologize Mike.

When I was working, addition to my duties inspection aircraft parts, I was a safety coordinator and on the safety committee for a number of years and sometimes get hung up on the minutia and definitions. It cuts down on mistakes and errors.

scooby has the potential to get the wrong breathing protection or wasting some time if he goes looking for what he called "a full mask" instead of what he should be looking for, a powered respirator.

Pete

Appreciate your input Inspector. I'll re read this thread later today when I'm more awake. Over recent years, I've made a large effort to use power tools less and improve dust collection at the source. Improving the mask situation is something I need to do asap though.

Scooby one thing to take into account is the weight of a full mask, if you are not used to wearing a hat, hard or otherwise you may find it uncomfortable for a while, but perseverance will pay off in the end and as I said the air washing down over the face is very refreshing, but I don't think you can smoke with it on, not enough room between the visor and your mouth. #-o

MikeJhn":32w4npit said:
Scooby one thing to take into account is the weight of a full mask, if you are not used to wearing a hat, hard or otherwise you may find it uncomfortable for a while, but perseverance will pay off in the end and as I said the air washing down over the face is very refreshing, but I don't think you can smoke with it on, not enough room between the visor and your mouth. #-o

:mrgreen: My smoking days are long since gone, cycling became my new addiction.

I have to wear a hard hat at work, so weight isn't a problem. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be looking around for a better solution.

Same here, except now I have Arthritis in my hands and shoulders and I can't get down on the drops anymore, want to buy a Canondale tandem trike. #-o

Back