Full face dust masks.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
You know, full face,shield/visor and fan unit. Been interested in them for a while and one of the other makers i used to work with has one and reckons its pretty good, but I wondered if anyone has had or used them for long term and can do a better review.

Not sure I'd get on with the constant fan buzzing my skull.

ZZZZZZZ
Between that and the reduced outside sound from the headphones is that all you hear ?

Powered respirators are not cheap, and the big makes with power unit on a belt, connected to the helmet by a hose, have become significantly more expensive due to COVID demand.
I use the Sundstrom SR500/540 combination and am very happy with it - but you'll need a spare £1k or thereabouts! The fan noise is clearly audible but doesn't bother me.
The other big make is the 3M Versaflo, liked by many of it's users, at a similar price to the Sundstrom.
Much cheaper at around £200 are the units with motor, fan and filters all mounted on the head such as the Trend Air/Pro Airshield and the JSP Powercap (also sold under the Axminster brand). The helmets are heavier than the separate units mentioned above, and the noise source is closer to your head.
Not sure what headphones you are referring to, but if you mean ear defenders, they reduce outside noise and come in various specifications to suit your needs, allowing more or less sound to pass at various frequencies to suit your requirements.
All of the helmets vary in fit and feel and I very strongly recommend that you try them on before splashing the cash.
Arco.co.uk have stores around the UK and sell quite a good range which you can try for size.
Duncan

I can recomend the Powercap (axminster) model. I bought one when my wife got into pen making and she loves it. As we now share workshop time it has become necessary for me to wear one too. I find that I can comfortably work with it on all day and the battery lasts well.
It does not feel heavy and we both agree they feel balnced when wearing them. There is definately fan noise but to be honest they are very quiet and if using machines and ear defenders (make sure you get the ones designed to have the strat around the back of you neck) you can't hear them at all.
As for the air blowing across your face we find it very comfortable. We have been using them most weekends since spring and not felt any doscomfort through the hot weather or now the cold.
Whichever one you choose I would recomend getting the stick on visor protectors and an extra pack of pre-filters. It is truely scary the first time you look at how much dust has accumulated after a day.
Another big bonus that these all share is they are comfortable when wearing glasses and they don't steam up.

I have a trend Airshield I use when I'm using the lathe because I have no dust extraction* I've not found an issue with is myself but then I ride a motorcycle so am
a) a bit deaf
b) used to any weight on my bonce
c) used to noise and weight at the same time.

* Please leave me alone, I understand I should have it but the airshield does 2 things and cost me less than I can find DE.

I bought one of the Racal Airstream powered respirators 30 odd years ago, I wore one out & bought another, that one was getting worn out when i managed to pick three more up secondhand & bought enough spares to keep two of them going till i finally pack it in! Very good bits of kit & the fan behind your head wasnt that noisy. Racal was swallowed by 3M who continued making them but i believe they are now discontinued but it may be possible to pick old stock ones up.
I did have a Trend airshield for a short while but it was cheap & nasty in comparison.

Mine’s the Trend Airshield. I would have liked an Airstream, but couldn’t justify it for occasional use. I need to use it for turning, which I do about once a fortnight. I only notice that I’m wearing it if it pushes on my spectacles. When I’m vacuuming the workshop, and moving my head more, the weight is more noticeable. Reviews I’ve read say that it’s lighter and quieter than the Axminster equivalent.

You do need to remember to change the filters, and replace the plastic film which protects the vision area, so buy spares when you buy the unit.

Aye its the Axminster mask - Axminster APF 10 Evolution young Ewan had on last time i was in, and he seemed to like it. Was a while back so it was a long term review I was looking for.

I see indeed about noise of everything else you'd not notice the fan noise, but not using powered all the time, so would be some noise, but if ye all think its unobtrusive, sounds good for me. I've a big mantelpiece to do for myself, turned columns etc, and the lungs aint too good these days. I so need something other than a rubbish cloth mask. I'll look into the axminster one this week.

@Duncan. Aye, Headmuffs ;)
Actually on that subject, cos my name is ANDY, ive AN, then DY on the underside of each cup so when i wear them off my ears and on my temples its like a name tab :D

Cost isnt really a factor, I like the best in that department usually, though the £1k ones are a bit overpriced,and effectively the same job is fine on Axminster, whom we all know.

Im currently looking at an Emtb at £4600 and just today had a good old rant about emtb pricing on one of the bike forums im on, and compared it to the Axminster compact panel saw, coupled with an axminser trade extractor, and still 500 left over. But thats a rant for another day....

Wiping wax on your glasses and polishing it in prevents them fogging- top tip

Powered respirators are not cheap, and the big makes with power unit on a belt, connected to the helmet by a hose, have become significantly more expensive due to COVID demand.
I use the Sundstrom SR500/540 combination and am very happy with it - but you'll need a spare £1k or thereabouts! The fan noise is clearly audible but doesn't bother me.
The other big make is the 3M Versaflo, liked by many of it's users, at a similar price to the Sundstrom.
Much cheaper at around £200 are the units with motor, fan and filters all mounted on the head such as the Trend Air/Pro Airshield and the JSP Powercap (also sold under the Axminster brand). The helmets are heavier than the separate units mentioned above, and the noise source is closer to your head.
Not sure what headphones you are referring to, but if you mean ear defenders, they reduce outside noise and come in various specifications to suit your needs, allowing more or less sound to pass at various frequencies to suit your requirements.
All of the helmets vary in fit and feel and I very strongly recommend that you try them on before splashing the cash.
Arco.co.uk have stores around the UK and sell quite a good range which you can try for size.
Duncan

So do I , great unit lots better the a trend air shield

I have the trend airshield its not too bad but if you wear it for an hour or 2 your neck will start to get a bit cranky.
I got it because I wear glasses and wanted something that wouldn't steam them up, which it doesn't.
Its not too noisy and I am normally wearing earplugs anyway.

Ollie

I think my devilbis air fed mask and belt pack was under £100 used on eBay.

Admittedly you then need a compressor to run it, but I'm not sure my pair of 3hp units cost more than £300 combined.

Ahh, but then you do need a three stage filter, which is another £150 (this time new, as I wouldnt trust that bit used!)

I guess you're still up to £400 with just the one compressor though (you only need one, i rarely have a task when I need both together) - and, again, that's used prices apart from the filters.

It shows an alternative though.

This is the setup people working with isocyanates use. You're litterally breathing air from somewhere else, so it does not matter how unbreathable your immediate environment becomes.

A couple of summers ago I used the kit when I was taking down a very dusty old lathe and plaster ceiling. It was only when I finished and took off the mask I realised what a baking day it really was, as I'd been working away with a nice cooled, dried, film of air passing over my face all the time.

Just hit the button on the Trend air-shield Pro -
Ebay had a voucher which brought the price to a very welcoming £191. About £30 cheaper than the Axminster one.

I felt after the comments that the Axminster one was a bit too simple, and the trend ones been out for a fair while with plenty of good reviews.

I'd check the P rating, I use a 3m versiflo which are scary money new. I bought mine second hand for £3OO and bought an extra battery for £1OO so I always have one charged. You get 8 hrs use out of charge. The filters are P3 so your getting good protection. You get used to the noise of the air being blown into it. The filters are expensive at £3O but they last a long time and you can clean pre filters

Sundstrom SR500 on that bay site now for £400 complete inc free delivery

Lots cheaper than a new pair of lungs

I would put a direct link but that's not allowed on this forum

I think those both are overkill compared to what the average forum user is going to need. Costs are professional items you'd only see in industrial settings.

The trend and the axminster are likely good enough.

Back