fuji dvd discs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have received a spam shot from Pricestorm this morning offering
blank DVD disks:

fuji DVD-R @ £11.99 per 25
fuji Dvd +R @ £9.99 per 25

can anyone please tell me the difference and also how do I work out what DVD system I have on my computer and which type of disk to use?

I'm afraid I can't explain the technicalities of the different DVD standards but I'm sure someone else will be along to do so shortly.

However, the price of those DVDs looks quite expensive to me. They're much cheaper here.

Gill

Another source with reasonable prices.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

As WiZeR has asked, if you can determine the make & model of you player we may be able advise you if it burns +R, -R or both media.

If your burner is more than a couple of years old then it is unlikely to cope with both specifications.

Warning: Be careful about responding to unsolicited mail shots. It might not be as it appears and could lead to unwanted infection of your machine or disclosure/confirmation of your e-mail details to a third party.

Beware of 'unbranded' blank disks like the one's Gill's site has advertised. I've been bitten so many times with duff disks from these sources that I always use branded ones.

Roger Sinden":1udo34ti said:
Beware of 'unbranded' blank disks like the one's Gill's site has advertised. I've been bitten so many times with duff disks from these sources that I always use branded ones.

Yet I've found these rarely fail! Strange, isn't it?

Gill

Gill":1ddp4e1k said:
Yet I've found these rarely fail! Strange, isn't it?
Gill

Could be down to "Burner" differences or even Burner Software.

But even if your burner works with them I would be careful if required for long term storage.

They have failed some aspect of the manufactures/marketing brand requirements.

I have been and had a look in my Device Manager at the DVD drives of which there are two.
The first drive which I assume is the one that writes is a :
ATAPI dvd-rom 16x max

second drive which I assume is read only:

MATSHITA dvd-ram, SW-9581

can anyone now please tell me if the pricestorm blank dvd is suitable for those drives?

Dev, ATAPI is not a brand. Stands for Attachment Package Interface.
Think you gotta ensure you have a DVD burner rather than a CD burner. If you click on properties what does it say about the drive?

Noel

My burner software is Pinacle and properties states "instant CD+DVD"
drive properties boc checked enable digital cd audio.

Any good ?

+R and -R refer to the two different standards that are in common use. Remember VHS and Betamax? Same thing only it's now the recoding method, not the physical media. -R is the most popular and that's what I use in my Panasonic DVD player. I think Philips is +R. Anyway, if you stick with -R for most things you won't go far wrong.

devonwoody":7viz3rzk said:
I have been and had a look in my Device Manager at the DVD drives of which there are two.
The first drive which I assume is the one that writes is a :
ATAPI dvd-rom 16x max

second drive which I assume is read only:

erm - nope...
DVD-ROM - read only (that's what the RO of rom means)
DVD-RAM - writable, but doesn't use either dvd-r or dvd+r format disks...uses dvd ram disks, oddly enough!

However, dvd-ram drives normally support either -r or +r as well, cos the ram disks are rewritable, and it's often wanted to have a permanent recording.

devonwoody":2agfdlnn said:

MATSUSHITA SW-9581 MATSHITA DVD-RAM SW-9581

Will write to the following media:

CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM

EDIT: any media prefixed with a + will not work.

Thanks all for passing on of your knowledge on this subject, I have now marked my write drive with a minus sign, for future reference. :)

Latest posts

Back