Frying pans ..........an odd request ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
An odd request for a workshop forum - can anyone recommend a good frying pan?
Ideally a decent size and not teflon - my wife can ruin teflon by looking at it.
Whatever the finish it has be OK to run hot. I already have a Le Creuset skillet.

A heavy cast iron one. I think mine is from Ikea. Not expensive, lasts forever and holds a LOT of heat, great for steaks :D

Tesco have one with a wavy pattern across the surface in their Go Cook range. It has a speckled finish on the inside. it's not expensive e.g. 30cm for £15 and has a 20 year guarantee. So far it has not altered in appearance and is simplicity to keep clean. It also works with induction hobs (not got) and can be dishwasher cleaned (not tried). There is also a Philips screw to tighten the handle up - I don't like the fixed ones that are anything but fixed.

I got some cast iron ones from nisbits online. They are cheap and mine have so far lasted 10 years.

My record with teflon frying pans is about 6 months.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I got 3 excellent cast iron ones s m & l from TK Max for 26 quid the set by "OldMmountain and they perform better than my le cruset skillet . I even take the medium one with me when i go "glamping" in the van as it performs so well distributing its heat evenly on a wood fire too

SKEPPSHULT have never let me down they're not cheap though but you will never need another pan.

I use these: https://www.manufactum.co.uk/hammer-for ... /?c=193701

Drop forged, hand made. Expensive but indestructible. Once seasoned they become fully non-stick. There are three sizes in the German store, but only 2 online in the UK. Works well on induction. Much lighter than cast iron, but for serious cooks only at this price. The forged and pressed Turk pans are a cheaper alternative.

I also use Mauviel induction pans (and their stainless lined copper on gas). Again, brilliant but expensive. Pro chefs use these a lot for a reason. You can get a wide range of sizes and shapes.

Crikey. I didnt know frying pans could be good looking AJB.

with cast iron pans, they say that you just give them a wipe out. Daft question, but does that also include the times when you use them to create a sauce in?

Yes. Rinse with water and wipe out with paper towel. Light coating of oil if needed. Personally I find steel (as per my link above) much easier to keep clean than cast iron. Cast iron is also heavy to handle especially to toss food front to back if you get all chaffy.

I'd second Tyreman's recommendation of a Skeppshult or AJB Temple's for Turk. I've got a Skeppshult myself: it's really solid, heavy work. When you're not using it as a frying pan, it's the sort of thing you'd want to tackle a burglar with. The Turk ones, which despite the name are made in Germany, are also cracking examples of traditional craftsmanship.

I'm looking at the Turk atm, I haven't bottomless pockets and the problem with the really heavy ones is my wife struggles to lift them - that's why my last heavy one got very conveniently left behind when we moved. It was a beauty, and well worth the 50p it cost me at a car boot. :D

Alex Pole makes great pans out of his Somerset workshop

https://www.alexpoleironwork.com/

They’re hand spun and then forged handles riveted on.

I’ve barely used another pan since I got mine.

Very reasonable for something handmade in the UK too

Latest posts

Back