Frozen Planet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I see a number of commentators are getting their knickers in a twist about the Polar bear sequence. BTW, I didn't watch the series, but I really do not understand the surprise.
Oxford Scientific Films laid the ground work back in the 60s for filming under controlled conditions, ant's nests, Bee hives, Sticklebacks nesting etc etc were and are all filmed in labs.
You see film of a single leaf that then falls from the tree, a species of wasp boring through wood to lay eggs in a grub, Badgers filmed in artificial Setts.
It's been going on for over 50 yrs and frankly I'm astonished that it's all supposed to be deception. Some of the great wildlife moments could only have been filmed under controlled conditions.

Roy.

Roy, when something like this becomes big news I always get the suspicion the "powers that be" are using it as a smokescreen to sneak something through with little attentions. "Burying bad news" is no new concept.

Sells papers I suppose. Look at this....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 4g&cad=rja

anyone who has used a camera very seriously will know that this close up the depth of field is fag paper deep, and like the recipe for Rabbit stew it's a case of first catch your Rabbit.
Oxford Scientific Films even produced films showing how they did the scenes. Their film of Sticklebacks was shot in a glass aquarium with artificial lighting and using a Bolex H16 camera. Same with a Giant Water Beetle catching Minnows, did people really think these shots were taken in the village duck pond?

Roy.

I am reminded of the occasion after the release of Jurassic Park of the comment by the reviewer that the 'compuerised images were that good you couldn't tell them from the real Dinosaurs!' :lol:

Roy.

After so many years of using the internet (I've had it since the days people looked at you like you were crazy if you asked if they used email - though not since the days they just said "what's that?") there's not a whole lot that actually makes me "Laugh Out Loud...
...but that did. :D

I've been trying to remember her name, help me out here, she's Irish, middle aged, her daughter Carron? died young and has a charity named after her.
I suspect it's a 'foot in mouth moment' she'd prefer to forget though.

Roy.

My google-fu (which is sometimes weak) tells me you mean Gloria Hunniford.

(She probably meant CGI vs Animatronic - but that's nothing like as funny.)

That's my girl! The wife tells me it was the premiere of Jurassic Park 2.

Roy.

Hi Roy

I would normally agree with you about splicing together footage shot in the wild with obviously staged footage but this was a bit different.

At the end of each Frozen Planet episode, there was a 10 minute slot called Freeze Frame where the producers explained the process, the methods and techniques of getting the wonderful images that we'd just watched. This was where they should have shown how the shots of the birth of the cub were obtained.

I think they didn't do this because some people feel very strongly that polar bears are particularly unsuited for captivity and they didn't want to stir that up.

Also, all the other Freeze Frame slots had shown camera men being intrepid, daring and adventurous. But filming a bear through a hole in the wall of a Dutch zoo is a bit tame and didn't quite fit the "hero" image!

They attracted criticism when it could have been avoided.

They attracted criticism when it could have been avoided.

Yes it seems that way indeed. But, presumably to avoid criticism elsewhere, I understand that the final episode concentrated on global warming and for some reason the series is being sold abroad minus that episode.

Roy.

This is a lovely photograph of a wolf by photographer Jim Brandenburg. A number of years ago this photo was very controversial among the wolf experts here because the wolf was going out onto the ice to get a piece of meat that had been thrown out there for the photograph. the meat was later retouched out of the photograph. The problem the wolf experts had was that the wolf wouldn't have gone out there on its own unless it was baited.

white_wolf_leaping_700.jpg

You could freeze your butt off waiting for that to happen naturally.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back