Frosted glass for a front door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
The front door I've been making for what seems like forever is finally reaching completion. I thought it'd be an easy job to get some obscure glass - but not patterned. But it seems not. The the only thing that I can find is sandblasted glass - but the glazier told me this is no good when it gets wet (from rain or condensation) - because the pits get water droplets inside them and the glass becomes clear! I don't want to use the frosted spray or stick on frosted stuff - since I have to buy the double glazed units - I might as well get some proper stuff - but can anyone advise what my options are?
Cheers
Gidon

Gidon
get your glass sandblasted or acid etched on one side and have that side put inside the double glazing - no condensation - no rain.

Gidon,

a front door is on my todo list, i would be really interested in some WIP photos if you have them. Also be interested in your design, choice of wood/ hardware, etc and your experience of hanging.

Tom

I quite often use "white Laminated" glass, sometimes called "opal"

This is like you normal 6.4mm laminate except the plastic film in the middle is white. You can still see light through it but as both surfaces are smooth there are no problems with marks.

Being laminate it will meet the safety requirements, but it does cost about £10 sq ft. You will have to find a decent size glazier who stocks it as it is not worth smaller shops ordering in a whole sheet

Thisis it in a bathroom cupboard

Jason

Gidon

Don't know if this helps but have you considered the frosted film that you can buy on roles or get it cut to size. I have used this a couple of times on windows and have always been impressed with it as long as a) you make sure the glass you are putting it on is free from dust and dirt and b) you spend some time getting all the air bubbles out which is fairly easy to do.

You put the film on the inside of course but it gives a great frosted effect. I don't recall it ever looking streaky when it got wet and never had it peel off because of water or condensation. One of plus was that someone tried to break in once by throwing a brick through my front window and although the glass broke the film held it all together so no glass everywhere. (as i was in the kitchen at the time nothing was stolen!) one of the joys of living in London.

Worth considering at least.

Thanks everyone. Sorry for late response.
Drew - I think that's the way I'm heading now - like you say it shouldn't get condensation on the inside since it'll be double glazed - having said that I'm still not sure in our house!
SD - I have a Stippolyte sample here - it's the closest I have actually got my hands on to what we're after - but yes still too raised - we want a smooth finish (to the eye).
Tom - it's a nightmare - wish I'd never started it! Would be ok in a bigger workshop but it my shed it's a logistical disaster everytime I try and even move the parts let alone the assembled door (2 inch thick Oak is heavy!). I will certainly post some WIP pics etc when it's completed. As to my experience of hanging the door this is the one thing I am really dreading doing (probably why I've taken so long to make it!)
Jason - thanks for this - I'm going to look into this - still probably cheaper than sandblasted. Nice cabinet by the way. You don't by chance have some close up pics of that glass do you?
Kev - yikes - multi purpose hey?! Have considered this but since I'm ordering the glasss I feel I should get the right thing in the first place.
Cheers
Gidon

Back