Front Frames yet again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Will shortly be making my new kitchen and plan to make a front frame kitchen.My problem is that I need to buy and fit the carcases complete with the slate tops and appliances before I make and fit the front frames and doors.My thoughts so far are to make the frames 36mm wide and to form a rebate on the inside of the carcase of 18mm and flush on the outside and fix with 18mm x 18mm blocks on the inside of the carcase. Any better suggestions on the design and how to fix the frames without seeing any fixings.
Thanks
Matthew

if you are using blum hinges your door hinges need a flat surface to work. so rebate inside will not work.
rebate outside will work. unless you are going to hang the hinges off the face frames i would glue and nail using pilot hole and pins and then fill the pinhole. door will cover all of this.
all the best
rob

If you mean face frames then try pocket hole screws. If you search around here you will find posts about it. One was mine a few years ago with photos of a small vanity unit.

Chris

Thanks guys,Chris I had looked at your post a while ago,my problem is I cannot get to the back of the frame on the outside of the carcase as the kitchen will have been fitted by the time I come to fix the face frames, I will be using butt hinges so the rebate on the inside would not be a problem.Robb,the front are going to be sprayed a colour before I fit them so cannot use pins through the fronts,no matter how well the pin holes are filled and cleaned up you will still see some sort of a mark.

I domino mine. Glue the dominoes in to the front frame, then screw through the carcass into the domino to secure it. I do this from the outside before fitting the cabinets, but it could easily be done just the same from the inside. The only fixing you will see will be a neat screw head that will be back behind the front frame.

Rob Platt":1e81nsam said:
if you are using blum hinges your door hinges need a flat surface to work. so rebate inside will not work.
rebate outside will work. unless you are going to hang the hinges off the face frames i would glue and nail using pilot hole and pins and then fill the pinhole. door will cover all of this.
all the best
rob

Blum make special hinge plates for this purpose, they are around 18mm thick IIRC.

Back