Front door. Horizontal t&g boards. No visible stiles. How to

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
So, a customer has asked me to price a new front door.

They have given me a picture as they want to match it up.

Basically, it has horizontal t&g for its entire height. The door doesn't have any visible stiles. How is this made? Do you think the boards are screwed and plugged? It doesn't appear to be made that way in the picture.

What about the top an bottom rail? I just can't work it out. Maybe it's because it's late and I should stop thinking about work

Cheers

Boarded both sides?

If so typical flb door but thinner clad with boards? On the edged could add a 25mm lipping, or even rebate the stiles leaving 25mm or soo full, so that the ends of the boards are protected, and the coor can be rebated, and fitted easily.

I made these, and there were a bit of a pain, with a inner frame inside the door to old the glass, and a lining to seat the beads against etc. Quite nice though.pictures arent the best...

25r1jmf.jpg

2lj410z.jpg

Get a door blank and veneer with bandsawn veneer about 2.5mm thick so you can chanfer the edges if needed. Dead stable and no risk of wood movement.

Most of the commercially made ones have some form of composite core to keep them flat, give correct insulation value and for security.

J

Back