Front door dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I apologise from the start because this is not a woodworking question although technical advice and views would be appreciated.

I am replacing our front door (wooden) I have been looking at a composite door replacement (wood effect).

We had the door salesman guy around last night to give his shpeil.

The door has all the BS standards for the materials, frame, doorhardware insulation and has the police approved Secured by Design accreditation, PAS 23/24 for enhanced security.

It is their top of the line range with a 35 year no quibble guarantee replacement/repair policy.

Each door is bespoke measured and made rather than modified from a blank.

There is a £60 deposit then no money paid untill satisfaction of the installed product.

The company is Safestyle UK.....am I allowed to mention that :oops:

The price quoted (single exterior door) for this product was £1005.20 installed.

Of this, I figure there is £200 Vat,

About £100 installation.

Commission ??

Retail door price ??

Has anyone any views on such a product with regards to quality and price of the aforementioned door??

I would like to hear from fellow forum members if you do.

I'm not interested in PVCu doors, I am aware some of these doors can be purchased for about £350 off the shelf for self fitting.

Many thanks.

David

Hi David

I've fitted a number of composite doors over a period of time and they are pretty solid and secure IMO but there are probably some poor ones out there. I'm a bit confused about the "bespoke made" bit as unlike a PVCu door which generally use a centre door blank, composite doors are all made individually to a specific size and I think they all start as a "blank". I see no advantage in what the salesman says as it doesnt affect the quality.

I don't know the company you mention as I buy mine from a local supplier and the going rate to me is around £500 + vat for the ones I've had. I fitted a back door in my extension which I'm happy with, (cost me £150 'cos it was a wrong size and I built the opening to fit. :lol:
They are dead easy to fit BTW as come pre-fitted into frame.

As far as the 35 year guarantee, unless it's underwritten with some kind of insurance policy, it's only valid as long as the company stays in business so I's ask the question.
Just my opinion but hope that helps.

Bob

Bob, thanks for responding, that hdoes help

I guess the figure quoted is not too far off what a normal punter would have to pay for such a door, assuming you are in the trade and get it at trade prices.

I have checked their website again, they seem quite confident their doors have the ability to perform as they state with regards to durability and security. I guess if I buy from off the shelf and the door subsequently fails it would be more difficult to claim against them, particularly as I would be fitting the door, which I am sure would be their outer, i.e not fitted fully under manufacturers instructions or such like.

I would not buy a box of matches from this company.

I got a quote from them of £2500.00 for a pair of French Windows, in UPVC. I declined their offer.

Within 48 hours I got a phone call from anothe Company of 1500.00. They said they had got my details from the first gang. Obviously they had sold my details on.

I then researched locally and got a price of £850.00 for the same exact specification.

The TV adverts from Safestyle make me want to throw up.

Æ

Bluekingfisher":3fvhwh99 said:
So you figure £1K is a lot for a composite front door??

I'm having one fitted on Monday and it was 540. if I had wanted a red one, they had bought them in bulk and they were 490.

Thanks,
Neil

Alvan":2xfa3vhr said:
I would not buy a box of matches from this company.

I got a quote from them of £2500.00 for a pair of French Windows, in UPVC. I declined their offer.

Within 48 hours I got a phone call from anothe Company of 1500.00. They said they had got my details from the first gang. Obviously they had sold my details on.

I then researched locally and got a price of £850.00 for the same exact specification.

The TV adverts from Safestyle make me want to throw up.

Æ

I'm with him.

I know of the company and the scrotes that run it - I wouldn't even want to say Hello to any of them, just in case you got short changed somehow. :roll:

Dibs

Our GRP door cost £950 from a reputable local fitter, the core is Ply and it has 2 GRP outer skins, When i was checking out the GRP doors i was told there are 3 different types, they all use similar outer skins front and back (Gelcoat + RTM GRP) but it's the core that changes the cost, I could have had one for £500 notes that looked the same but didnt feel as stiff or as heavy as the one we have that has a 50mm ply core.

I was in his unit and he showed me a door the same a my GRP door from a house that had been raided by the local constabulary with one of the door battering rams, I counted 27 separate indents on the door and in the end they went in through the back door because they couldn't get in through the front, so security shouldn't be an issue, I would ask what the door construction is though.

what ever make of door, it is only as secure as the euro cylinder fitted to it,buy the most up to date there is ,i.e. anti bump and anti snap ,i speak from personal experience,a cheap lock can be taken out in about 20 seconds with no noise and then the door can be opened as normal.
best regards dave

Have to agree with the above, as good and solid as the door maybe if it relys on a euro cylinder then its tat.

If you have to have one then as above 'anti bump' (their not 100% bump proof) and get one that has the steel plate running through it. The ones with the snap off ends are useless, leave only a few exposed pins after they have snapped off and theres still enough left of the lock to get a hammer and bolster on to get the rest out.

Thats the way I get in the steel security doors we use at work by the way (not a thief!), when the unit comes back with no keys (thanks wankers) a well placed blow with hammer and bolster snaps the cylinder (where the screw goes through it in the middle) - remove the broken lock and poke about in the mortice lock part to release the lock.....

If you want to see a bit about lock picking then do some searches on youtube.

Lot to be said for a good quality mortice lock, anything can by bypassed or broken in the end but its the semi skill oportunist thief you really need to protect yourself against.

FWIW

Thanks for all the feedback fellahs. I have by chance, had a couple of local suppliers slip their fliers through the letterbox so I'll have a look at local suppliers and ask a few pertinet questions.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond, very useful.

David

Back