Front door - advice on material, gotchas (outward opening?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
matthew":4gvoz6bt said:
Rule of thumb for timber doors/windows - 2/3mm play all round?

On the frame to fit into a rough opening, I usually allow 10-15mm on each side and on the head just to give a little breathing room as if you do them too tight you'll end up either planing the frame or hacking away at the opening.bearing in mind I only allow that much is I can get away with it. On a clean new block wall opening, I would go fairly tight just to save on foam more than anything.

The actual door to frame fit I usually allow 3-4mm all round (13mm on the bottom of a door if using a low profile threshold) and plane a leading edge onto the lock stile of a door just so that it closes without binding when it does eventually swell a small amount.

ColeyS1":4gvoz6bt said:
Just ordered this in for windows and doors.
8c96e07cf6c9be90bc785ef1987d51cf.jpg

Probably too late to return it now !

Ah, that's just some glorified firewood you've got there!

I've made a few doors, windows and large faux timber frame doors + windows from European oak but it's always been prime cuts, no fat. I've had good fortune with them and nothing has really moved since they were put in except they've shrunk a marginal amount in the recent heatwave.

Back