From push bike to ebike

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a push bike that I would like to convert into an ebike .
Does anyone have any experience of the conversion kits that are available.

Not a lot of use to you but I had an add on kit marketed by Sinclair of the C5 & electronics fame. The motor mounted above the front wheel & pivoted to make contact, thus you could select when & when not to use it. The battery hung from the crossbar in a sturdy canvas bag.
IIRC the battery would last for about 4 five mile journeys perhaps a bit more but as there was no way to measure the state of the battery it was trial & error.

I've no advice powertools, but just to say I've been looking into the same recently. All looked fine til I saw the cost of the batteries.
If I ever do go ahead I'll opt for rear wheel drive (and frame mounted battery), based on nothing other than that that's where the drive usually comes from on the bike.
Watching with interest.

Before you start, make yourself aware of the relevant legislation around ebikes. A lot of the import conversion kits will result in a bike that is not road legal (at least without registration, taxing, testing etc etc).

Now personally I think the legislation is way out of touch and out of date, but nevertheless it would be awful for you to put the effort into making the bike only to have it taken away or be fined for using it.

aren't these new fangled conversion kits a bit over complicated? There must be a gap in the market for an old-skool version that simply attaches to your front fork and drives the front wheel with a rubber roller?

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 08.48.20.jpg

Travis 1.5HP (~1950) - thousands sold!

1949_travis_Motor_bike_01.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 08.48.20.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 08.48.20.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 863
For me I think a petrol engine would be the way to go but it would seem that in this country that is not an option.
There is a nice 4 stroke engine kit available from Germany where it is allowed and I am still temted to give it a go.

nabs":18tpasvs said:
aren't these new fangled conversion kits a bit over complicated? There must be a gap in the market for an old-skool version that simply attaches to your front fork and drives the front wheel with a rubber roller?
Just like a VeloSoleX, though iirc that had something more akin to a grindstone for the drive.

I've installed a few different one's recently (helping out a mate with a bike shop). from what I've seen, hub centred drive is the way to go, purely for efficiency, front or rear wheel doesn't really matter but front is easier to fit (not that rear is especially difficult though). bigger battery means bigger weight, so decide what you want it for, if it's for a few quick nips to the shop get a smaller battery and charge it more frequently, if it's for epic day long rides, bigger the better. look closely at the specs, if they claim more than about 350w then don't bother, also decide if it needs to be pedal assist or throttle.

cyclotricity have a 250w front wheel conversion which was nice to install and worked well (and didn't look like a conversion to much), the motor and control box are cheap as chips (relatively) but the battery is where the cost is.

you'll see a lot of other kits that are rebranded from their stuff, they also have a 250w/500w rear kit, great fun, but eats the battery.

pannier batteries are fine, just a bit awkward and means you have to have a pannier rack fitted (obviously) all the time, this bothers some people.

any of the kits that rub on the tyre/rim aren't worth it, massively inefficient and very noisy (not to mention the additional wear on tyres and the requirement to have slicks).

there are a few out there (not that I've seen any) that link to the crank, never had any experience with these though.

good luck with the cycling forums, you'll find all the Jacobs you need (no offence intended Jacob). :D

This how to do it cheap and easy. Car batteries in the front rack
Bike 2.JPG
Bike 1.JPG

Attachments

• Bike 1.JPG
    Bike 1.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 702
  • Bike 2.JPG
    Bike 2.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 824
have you got a bigger version of this picture finney (or a link?)? it is too small for my blurry eyes to make out the important bit!

60yes ago, when batteries were accumulators, my father had a petrol powered version that powered the rear tyre. He travelled miles on that.

Rod

They used to be quite a few e-bikes around here until somebody discovered that our lovely local devolved government (when they could be ars-ed actually sitting in government) forgot to pass the same laws as you've got in GB. Now if you want to ride an e-bike it's do a test, get it registered,lights and indicators, buy a helmet, MoT after 4 years and wear suitable motorbike style clothing.
All good fun.

I remember seeing a youtube video of a guy who'd used a cordless drill/driver for motive (eMotive?) power. I think the range would be somewhat limited, though...

Back