• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Frog for record No8 SS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I
Hi,
Has anyone got a spare frog for a Record No8 SS? I have just found a hair-line crack in my current one.

Cheers
Dno
I think that'll be hard to find.

Some time ago I bought a large Stanley, with the frog broken through the base, for spares. IIRC frog okay, plane base munted. If you're prepared to fit a black frog into your blue plane, I could have a look to see if it is a No.7 or No.8.

Then again, maybe someone closer...

Cheers, Vann.

number 8 stuff tend to be expensive as they are not so common. Best bet may be a cut down model that someone has dropped. I saw a thread on here for people asking for no8 irons even they are tricky to find cheap. Love a number 8, like 7 but bigger and better imho.

That was my thread! Looking for a #8 iron was a lengthy process. In the end I saved a search on eBay and a modern #8 iron popped up.
Any #8 spares are rare, could you weld it for the time being and start the, possibly lengthy, process of waiting for one to come up on eBay.

That was my thread! Looking for a #8 iron was a lengthy process. In the end I saved a search on eBay and a modern #8 iron popped up.
Any #8 spares are rare, could you weld it for the time being and start the, possibly lengthy, process of waiting for one to come up on eBay.
It would probably be harder to find someone who could properly weld cast iron than wait for one on ebay 🥴

number 8 stuff tend to be expensive as they are not so common. Best bet may be a cut down model that someone has dropped. I saw a thread on here for people asking for no8 irons even they are tricky to find cheap. Love a number 8, like 7 but bigger and better imho.
I bought it second-hand about a year ago and stuck it under the bench. Brought it out to clean and sharpen as I had a few tables to make and noticed the fracture. I've been eyeing up a Lie-Nielsen No8, but they're out of stock at the moment and my sister-in-law is coming from America soon.......I am praying hard to the tool manufacturing gods every night....
That'll reduce her luggage allowance on the plane 😲

I'm not intending to start a debate war but (and this is from a position of ignorance) does a hairline crack in a frog or side or base of a plane really matter?

...does a hairline crack in a frog or side or base of a plane really matter?
Depends. If it's allowing the plane to flex in use then it probably matters. Otherwise it doesn't matter. And if it's being replaced by a Lie-Nielsen in a few months then definitely not.

These are the planes I reach for most often:

Go to planes.jpg

The Clifton No.3 is in perfect condition. The Record No.04ss has the right wing broken off - but it works perfectly. The Record No.05 has a repair to the left wing, which fortunately is well aligned (unlike some other repaired planes this bottom feeder has bought), as well as pitting on the sole - it works fine as a jack plane.

But only one has any resale value.

Cheers, Vann.

Back