Friendship vs Greed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently there's enough supermarket stock to go around, so if folk buy at the normal rate, the shelves get replenished at the normal rate. There are literally no reasons for panic buying.

I think I mentioned this before but the Danes seem to have come up with the answer: the first bottle of handwash costs the usual four quid, the second one costs around 150 quid. Apply the same to bog rolls and everything else and the problem will be dealt with overnight.

Andy Kev.":39h0fzyg said:
Apparently there's enough supermarket stock to go around, so if folk buy at the normal rate, the shelves get replenished at the normal rate. There are literally no reasons for panic buying.

I think I mentioned this before but the Danes seem to have come up with the answer: the first bottle of handwash costs the usual four quid, the second one costs around 150 quid. Apply the same to bog rolls and everything else and the problem will be dealt with overnight.

A fine idea in principle, but now use some common sense and apply that to a real world situation. How do you enforce that?

Rorschach":1pwhmtho said:
Andy Kev.":1pwhmtho said:

A fine idea in principle, but now use some common sense and apply that to a real world situation. How do you enforce that?

Just program it into the tills. They do it all the time in an instant, 2 for 1, 3 for 2, price reduction and price increase etc.

Geoff_S":36w16qct said:
Rorschach":36w16qct said:
Andy Kev.":36w16qct said:

Just program it into the tills. They do it all the time in an instant, 2 for 1, 3 for 2, price reduction and price increase etc.

:roll:
OK let me put it another way, if someone told you 1 item was £1 but 2 items were £100 and you really wanted the second item, how would you get around that?

Rorschach":2hcd2bz1 said:
Andy Kev.":2hcd2bz1 said:

1. Big notice at the entrance to the supermarket explaining the policy and listing the items effected.

2. Put coloured stickers on the shelves indicating items concerned.

3. A few big security blokes employed to hang around the tills and deal with customers who refuse to pay up.

4. A few empty trolleys by the tills for those customers who will inevitably get muddled and picked up relevant items without realising that they were on the list.

Rorschach":10eje40w said:
Geoff_S":10eje40w said:

:roll:
OK let me put it another way, if someone told you 1 item was £1 but 2 items were £100 and you really wanted the second item, how would you get around that?

You'd pay up or do without.

I thought we had some smart people on this forum.

I'll wait and see how long it takes before someone "gets it".

Well yes, you pay for one, load it in the car and go back in again for the second. But then that wouldn’t be a very nice person. :?

Rorschach":35bz7327 said:

Yes, I know what you're getting at: you'd go around again or you'd go to another shop, where you would also only be able to buy one item. However, in going around again you risk being recognised and bounced out of the shop or getting banned from it.

In any event, making life more difficult for the low life who do hoard is likely to have an effect. Do you really think that some baseball-hatted, tattood or suited, come to that, moron is going to be prepared to go around 23 additional supermarkets to pick get to a total of two dozen packs of kitchen rolls?

It might not be able to eliminate second purchases but it would almost certainly reduce the total amount people were purchasing.

My cousin some years ago went to the local Tesco which was a few minutes away from his business, and asked for 100 cases of a beer that was on special offer - way cheaper than he could buy it. The manager said no, it was limited to five cases per customer. My cousin said that's OK, can you get 100 cases out for me and I'll be back in ten minutes with nineteen more people. He got them. :D

Andy Kev.":2pd8dkff said:
Rorschach":2pd8dkff said:

Yes, I know what you're getting at: you'd go around again or you'd go to another shop, where you would also only be able to buy one item. However, in going around again you risk being recognised and bounced out of the shop or getting banned from it.

In any event, making life more difficult for the low life who do hoard is likely to have an effect. Do you really think that some baseball-hatted, tattood or suited, come to that, moron is going to be prepared to go around 23 additional supermarkets to pick get to a total of two dozen packs of kitchen rolls?

It might not be able to eliminate second purchases but it would almost certainly reduce the total amount people were purchasing.

Yay got there :lol:

It's already happening mate, people going back around the tills to get multiple items. Couples going in separate queues etc.
Is it right? Is it moral? Not for me to answer but it shows that what you propose is totally unenforceable.

AES":174ryrv8 said:
On a lighter note, don't know if it's occurred to anyone else, but with hairdressers all closed here, my hair, which was already in need of a cut before this started, is going to look pretty "poetic" by the time this little lot's over (and NO, she's already offered, but SWMBO is NOT going to have a go at "tidying it up", I've got little enough left to play with as it is)!

:lol: :lol: Just had the same conversation this morning as I have an appointment next Tuesday and don't know if they'll be open or not but going to cancel anyway.

Asked the missus if she thought I'd look ok with a pony tail which got a laugh but when I said that a beard might go well with that her reply was unprintable. :shock:

Trainee neophyte":196m1u8n said:
Sincere apologies if anyone thought I was trying to assert the end of the world - I found a comment on a less than reputable website, and thought it an interesting proposition, hence my saying it was entirely unsubstantiated. There are people with degrees in logistics who know this stuff intimately. I'm not one of them.

TN
Although I accept your motives are not intentionally to spread bad information, you really need to engage your brain sometimes before exercising your typing fingers. :roll:

Lons, you wrote, QUOTE: Asked the missus if she thought I'd look ok with a pony tail which got a laugh ....... UNQUOTE.

Funnily enough I've been "seriously" considering the idea of a pony tail for some time (OK, OK, I concede - "idly toying with the idea of ...." would be more appropriate). When I mentioned that to SWMBO she nearly fell of her chair laughing.

(Actually, I thought I might look somewhat "dashing"). Ah well :D

Lons":bg5txbmr said:
Trainee neophyte":bg5txbmr said:
Sincere apologies if anyone thought I was trying to assert the end of the world - I found a comment on a less than reputable website, and thought it an interesting proposition, hence my saying it was entirely unsubstantiated. There are people with degrees in logistics who know this stuff intimately. I'm not one of them.

TN
Although I accept your motives are not intentionally to spread bad information, you really need to engage your brain sometimes before exercising your typing fingers. :roll:

Oddly, you're not the first person to have said that to me :)

I have spent a pretty dull few hours trying to answer my own question, to no avail, but the good news is that according to Bloomberg it is moot. The longer the shutdown goes on, the less demand there will be:
Shortages of goods and food triggered by the coronavirus outbreak has raised the specter of faster inflation across Asia in coming months.

Yet that short-term spike is expected to be overwhelmed by slowing economic growth in both China and the region as tourism, travel and manufacturing slump. Commodity, energy and transport costs have already fallen.

“The short-term effect is inflationary as it is a negative supply shock,” said Alicia Garcia Herrero, chief Asia Pacific economist at Natixis SA. “But as the world worries about the coronavirus spread, it becomes a negative demand shock with downward pressure on inflation.”

While the hit to China and the global economy has become more evident as each day of the virus disruption passes, the impact on prices has been harder to assess due to the conflicting forces. Over the longer term, a dis-inflation scenario suggests central banks and finance ministries will need to bring down interest rates and ramp up spending to offset the slump.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-20/panic-buying-inflation-tipped-to-fade-as-virus-hammers-demand

So an initial inflationary scramble for goods, which rapidly falls off a cliff into deflationary slump. Expect people to run out of money to panic buy with, in other words.

AES":2pct6n18 said:
Lons, you wrote, QUOTE: Asked the missus if she thought I'd look ok with a pony tail which got a laugh ....... UNQUOTE.

Funnily enough I've been "seriously" considering the idea of a pony tail for some time (OK, OK, I concede - "idly toying with the idea of ...." would be more appropriate). When I mentioned that to SWMBO she nearly fell of her chair laughing.

(Actually, I thought I might look somewhat "dashing"). Ah well :D

Some time after retiring I decided "what the hell". I now have a long beard and a pony tail. SWMBO is not impressed as my hair is now longer than hers and also all three of my daughters. She would like me to as a minimum get my beard shortened as she says it makes me look old.

So my advice is go for it.

curbing how much people buy in any particular chin is not hard at all. Nearly every bus company in Scotland currently does it as they have chip readers on the bus and a central finance system which only charges your card up to a specific point so you only pay for the equivalent of a day ticket even though you have to present it each time. Easy enough to allow the card to be used once and only once per supermarket chain per day/week etc.

beech1948":286gu8w4 said:
I felt somewhat angry at this friend and my wife and I talked about just dropping the moron.

Wondering what you would choose to do.

I would question how many friends I’d have if I judged them by my own standards, very few I imagine, plus if I’d had a friend for almost 30 years & this is the only time he fell below what’s expected of a friend then I’d suggest he isn’t doing to bad.
He’s not alone in what he has done & I’m not at all surprised by his actions when you consider the hysteria surrounding the virus created by a 24/7 media which seems hell bent on causing panic & is seemingly impossible to escape from, in that regard I’m just glad I’m fairly self sufficient.

Back