• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Fridge Freezer Compressor Duff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

doorframe

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title says, my Fridge Freezer compressor has gone wrong. It's definately the compressor as I swapped it (electrically) for a spare one I'm planning to use as part of a silent compressor.

The 3 windings bell-out fine, but it is quite hot, even though it won't run. There's a thermal trip in the pump 'common' that trips almost immediately I put the power on. I'm clinging to the hope that it's seized and will un-seize when it cools down. Tomorrow afternoon I'm planning to roll the whole FF around the kitchen half a dozen times to try to persuade the oil to penetrate the pump.

Has anyone got any experience of these things? Any advise to offer??

TIA,

Roy

doorframe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Had a couple of PM's, so, to clarify..

I used the original starting gear to run a new compressor. Ran ok. I tried several different value capacitors to try to give the old compressor a kick but no joy. Also tried giving the compressor a real good whack with my boot to try to jar it free.

I've read in the web about a hard-start-kit, but can't find anything in the uk. Anyone ever tried these?

As the FF is now 7-8 yrs old I'm thinking I'm just being a bit tight, and should just buy a new one, as replacing the compressor and re-gassing is probably a non-starter, but I will be fitting a new kitchen next year and untill I draw up some plans I don't know if I'm going for one of the big yank FF's, so maybe an ebay 'bargain' will have to tide us over for a while.

Cheers,

Roy.