Friday's guess what the spanner is quiz

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

workshopgranny

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh, I know I keep posting, but you guys keep on getting my questions right, and I am so grateful that there is a website like this with people that know what my spanners are, any way enough of the flannel, can anyone identify these three? the prize is, I wont post any questions again this week....................... :lol:

The first one is about 5" long, the second one is just over 8" long and the last one is about 6 1/2" long. The last one seems to have been painted deep red? of course it could have been a spillage!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,108
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,108
the first and second, I am going with bike spanners again.

They are all cycle spanners

The top one was often sold with a bike and fitted most things and being thin could be used to adjust the cones on the hubs, though they did tend to tear up your hands.

Second one the big hex hole would fit wheel retaining nut and the others various nuts on the bike

Last one the big end could have been for the headset but looks like its been bent inwards at some time, little end looks to have been filed out to make it fit something else.

J

Thank you so much, By Bike spanners, I am guessing you mean Motorbike, not push bike!
I never thought about the last one being filed out, though it doesn't look like it on close inspection, but I guess as it is old it probably would not show, thanks for all the answers!!!!!!!!!!

All bicycle spanners but the colour on the last one is the same as that of a coronet woodturning Lathe so could belong to that if hubby had one.

Top one is definitely like the spanner I had with my bike in 1953 !

The next looks very like one used for tightening the nuts on the axles of wooden-wheeled roller skates I used at Alexandra Palace around 1958

The bottom one looks like the spanner used to tighten the large nuts on the on the rubber bush self-steering mounts on those same roller skates.

But usually there was one spanner that was a combined version the lower two.

jasonB":24ou4tiu said:
No By Cycle I mean Bicycle.

J

Absolutely right Jason!

No self-respecting motorcyclist would carry toys like that around!

Travelling tool kit comprised a couple of adjustables (probably "snail wrenches"), a pair of pliers, a pair of molegrips and something heavy to hit them with! :mrgreen:

A mate of mine had a Velocette big single that had the splines on the gearchange shaft stripped and for at least two years his gearchange lever was a mole grip clamped as tightly as possible to the shaft! :shock:

"No self-respecting motorcyclist would carry toys like that around!"

Wow that made me laugh, my sister is married to a Big Biker, he would be mad if he thought I did not know the difference between a bike spanner and a bicycle spanner!

Latest posts

Back