Freud T&G router set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a seven cupboard doors from some fantastic hard maple, and needed to spring for a T&G set. I've never used Freud cutters, so I thought I'd give them a spin.
They looked substantial and well-made, and I must admint the price point suggested top quality. Cheap they weren't.
Revved up the router to about 1200, slowly fed the heavenly maple through on a fairly light cut. The tongues are more locational than structural, so there was no need to go deep.
It seemed to cut well, and then I noticed that about a third of one of the cutter blades had flown off from the bottom.
Somewhat less than amused, I carried on with my 1 & 2/3rds cutter, slowly, carefully and a little bit hesitatingly. I didn't fancy copping a piece of THAT in the face. It would be like being shot with a .22
The remaining cutter and a bit stayed and I still got a tongue, although one edge needed cleaning up.
Then to the groove. The groove cutter is four blades at slightly alternating heights. Cut the first one, checked the cutter and found that TWO had come off clean - not broken, just divorced from the brazing altogether.

I doubt there's any need to add further comment, except to say that I overlooked the bargepole.

Steve,

Very worrying indeed, as you say it would be like being shot if a bit of carbide hit you. I am glad it didn't - and you are probably just as pleased that your maple came though unscathed?

As you say, the Freud cutters look the business and are not cheap (I just bought a couple of Freud roundover bits for my chair - I shall make sure I put a face mask on when I use them!)

Bargepole advice noted.

My god! That is really bad. You were brave to carry on using the set at all!
Presumably Freud don't specify as highly as Trend.
What are you going to do now? I imagine Freud will be hearing about this?

A

The thought of taking one of those bits to that beautiful chair fills me with dread and foreboding... :cry:

I'm sticking with Trend or good ol' Wealden from now on!

(Haven't tried any CMT cutters yet - they really do seem expensive).

Steve

Shocking and dangerous to boot! :shock: :shock:

Thankfully you weren't hurt

Send 'em back for full refund and buy Trend which are (I think) cheaper. Even the free cutters that came with my cheapo PRC router didn't break!

Tony

I bought them at the Ally Pally show - I think from the Craft Supplies stand. No receipt or proof of purchase - not that they didn't give me a receipt, just that I have no idea what happened to it!

I'll contact Freud and let you know how I get on. Should be interesting.

Steve

Yikes, Steve. :shock: Lucky escape. I've had a DT cutter bust on me once, and that was worrying enough despite being much smaller in diameter.

As to Freud, I have a set of theirs and have had no trouble. Certainly they have (had?) a reputation for good stuff. I did hear rumour that they will make to a budget in some instances though - the "Diablo" range from Screwfix is such a case I believe. Freud have given a good response before IIRC, so finger's crossed.

Cheers, Alf

I've heard the "budget" rumour for screwfix stuff too - from my local shop.

Apparently Screwfix offer a "fixed" price, and Freud have it manufactured to that price.

A

Hi Steve

Sorry to hear about your troubles, glad that you're still in one piece. Did you buy their diablo range from Screwfix?

I've got a set of Freud 1/2" cutters and cannot fault them. Personally I believe that they are a higher spec than Trend.

Now, however, I buy mine from Wealden. They are excellent, cheaper than Trend/Freud and their customer service is brilliant.

Well worth a try.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":37k64l1s said:
Hi Steve

Sorry to hear about your troubles, glad that you're still in one piece. Did you buy their diablo range from Screwfix?

I've got a set of Freud 1/2" cutters and cannot fault them. Personally I believe that they are a higher spec than Trend.

Now, however, I buy mine from Wealden. They are excellent, cheaper than Trend/Freud and their customer service is brilliant.

Well worth a try.

Cheers
Neil

Do we have a link for Wealden? Shocked by this. My cheap set from B&Q haven't done this!!

Newbie_Neil":30mgip65 said:
I second that. I have three sets of their 6mm t&g cutters (one set to use while the other two are being sharpened)

John

I use a lot of Wealdens cutters and have always found them very good like wise CMT though I have only got a few of these.

I also get my spindle cutters from Wealden, they do the KWO ones.

Jason

I have a couple of KWO replaceable insert router bits and I think they are fantastic. They cut cleaner mortises than my expensive solid carbide spiral cutters. I also rate Wealden and will always buy from them for preference if they have what I want.

I use the same replacables, very cost effective for doing worktop joints.

Jason

Steve, I gotta admit this shocked me.. I've used Freud as my "go to" cutters for over 4 years now without fault; personally I've nothing but praise for em..

Please, contact them directly and advise re your experience. Irrespective of which range the cutters came from, carbide schrappnel shouldn't happen... period... they need to know they have a QA issue here...

Back