Freud Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi,
There seems to be something wrong with the speed control on my router it seems to be running flat out all the time and altering the control has no effect. I'm sure it will self destruct before long. :cry:
I have had the router for about a year (my first router ) and I have been quite pleased with it up till now. If any experienced router uses could suggest any remedies or causes for this problem I would be very gratefull.

Chances are the magnet on the end of the armature has detached depriving the speed sensor of any inputs..

Thanks for your reply Mike. Have checked the point you mentioned but no sign of detached magnet ( or any sign of magnet either :( ).
At the moment i am looking for any service agents in my area. :cry: .

I had the same problem with my freud router. If you take off the top cover and lift of the speed control box there should be a small disc, about 18mm diameter attached to the top of the armature shaft. This is the magnet Mike is refereing to. I think it should be attached to the shaft by a retainer adhesive but mine worked loose and wore the end of the shaft down.
I left it in for a repair quote and was told at about £120 it was probably not viable to fix it. I have attached it back on with epoxy and I now have speed control back, but it,s not perfect as it does not seem to have the same speed control feedback causing the router to slow down under load.
I put my problem down to using to much downdraft dust extraction through the table causing the router to not get properly cooled.
The router will be replaced soon, and yes I would buy another but then again there is the new T11 :wink:

I think I have located the magnet but it appears to be ok, it rotates with the shaft. I have been quoted £45 plus vat for a new speed controller. But is this the problem?
It looks as if I too could be looking at a new router. I too have been quite happy with the freud so far, ideal machine for a table or in my case a woodrat, but once bitten twice shy as the saying goes. The Trend T10 or T11 or the Dewalt 625 are both quite a bit more expensive than the Freud. Decisions decisions.

i have just got a frued router from the booty the speed picks up and then drops , i checked the magnet it is loose on the shaft should it be fixed and turn ,or should it be loose i only paid £20 for it so if i can repair it its £20 well spent .i hope someone can help :)

frank

Frank, it should be fixed solid to the shaft.

Noel

noel thanks for that, should it be at the top of the shaft or just above the bearings.

frank

Frank, I'll go and have a look and take a photo. Will try and post later tonight or first thing.

Rgds

Noel

Here you go Frank, hope this helps:

FreudRcd.jpg

Let us know how you get on.

Rgds

Noel

thanks noel i stuck it on with a bit of super glue ,the pic is great one pic speaks a thousand words (i think i will buy the wife a camera :D :twisted: ) have any ratters got the frued and what was it like to fix on to the plate .
is this loose magnet problem just with frued or do other routers suffer the same problem ???.

thanks again noel

frank

Back