Freud router cutters warning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les chicken

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the cutters excellent finish BUT. If you use the book to calculate the sizes for the rails and panel page 85 be very careful. The calculations are exclusive for the combined cutters, i.e.

To calculate for a door size 500mm wide x 650mm high with rails & styles 70mm wide :-

Rail = 500-70-70+18 = 378

Panel width = 500-70-70+10 = 370
Panel height = 650-70-70+10 = 520

This gives a clearance of panel to depth of groove of 8mm to allow for expansion of the wood panel. The 18mm comes from the depth of tongue on the combined cutter being 9.1mm. If the panel is hard up against the one side of a groove there is still 1mm in the other groove.

If you are using separate cutters for the rails and styles then do not follow the calculations given. The tongue on the separate cutters is 10.4mm not 9.1mm which means there is a possibility that if the panel is hard up against the one side you will end up with a gap at the other side.

The calculations for using separate cutters for the same size panel should be :-

Rail = 500-70-70+21 = 381

Panel width = 500-70-70+13 = 373
Panel height = 650-70-70+13 = 523

I think you will find I am correct, found out the hard way. Sorry thread so long but I hope it may be useful to other sawdust producers. :oops: :lol: :D

Les

Les....

just a couple of points..

1/ what book are ya talking about..??

2/ you don't need anything like so much clearence with your panel height (assuming the panel grain is running vertically)... wood expands more across the grain than along the grain. I typically use 3mm vertical clearence, same calc as you for width...

they're awesome cutters huh...??

If your talking about the door making kit i always set the doors out and measure , not because im a pro just i forget the amount i should subtract :lol: Whats that old saying .... measure once , cut twice ?

Hi Mike

The book :- Freud Pro 2005 general products catalogue.

I agree the clearance is excessive but my calcs were pro rata to the different size cutters, as given in the book.

Les

Latest posts

Back