Freud precision shear forstner bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnwa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,I'm tired of trying to work with rubbish forstner bits from the budget German supermarkets, so Ijust wondered if anyone has had any experience of using Freud precision shear forstner bits. The internet reviews are pretty good, but I don't really trust internet reviews nowadays. I know Freud are quality cutting tool manufacturers but I would still prefer to hear from the horses mouth as it were before laying cash out for what to me is an expensive purchase as I'm only a diy'er and don't rely on my tools for a living. I can neither afford or justify super tool type prices even though I know that quality lasts. These bits which I think have to come from the States seem to fit the bill so I'm very tempted. Any thoughts?

Hi everyone,I'm tired of trying to work with rubbish forstner bits from the budget German supermarkets, so Ijust wondered if anyone has had any experience of using Freud precision shear forstner bits. The internet reviews are pretty good, but I don't really trust internet reviews nowadays. I know Freud are quality cutting tool manufacturers but I would still prefer to hear from the horses mouth as it were before laying cash out for what to me is an expensive purchase as I'm only a diy'er and don't rely on my tools for a living. I can neither afford or justify super tool type prices even though I know that quality lasts. These bits which I think have to come from the States seem to fit the bill so I'm very tempted. Any thoughts?
I have a similar question, I too am looking for my first set of Forstner bits and don't want to waste money on crappy bits as gone over budget on my workshop build already.
Did you ever find a good quality set of bits? I'd be interested to hear your findings.

Cheers Dave.

I have found that mid range bit's with a bit of fettling ...ie diamond stone etc makes em work much better.....
provided they are not made of cheese "Gromit"

I bought a set of these a few years back

they are complete rubbish out of the box -honestly you couldnt get anything more blunt

mind you after a fair bit of effort with a file and diamond stone they cut pretty good -nice clean hole in birch plywood on a pillar drill

I bought a cheaper set and after the first struggle to cut through wood bought these
Definitely one where good quality makes a big difference

Famag Bormax 3 (Bormax3 - the first Carbide tipped Forstner bit | FINE TOOLS), cry once (because of the cost) then smile every time you use them.

The "normal" Bormax (as suggested by others) are also very good. Trend and Fisch are decent too.

I cried then ordered the "normal" Bormax. Would have loved the Bormax 3's - especially since I work tropical hardwoods - but just couldn't bring myself to fork out that much cash. Other stuff to buy at the same time. Will see how the Bormax 2's hold up.

I cried then ordered the "normal" Bormax. Would have loved the Bormax 3's - especially since I work tropical hardwoods - but just couldn't bring myself to fork out that much cash. Other stuff to buy at the same time. Will see how the Bormax 2's hold up.
Yep. They're pricey. I have a couple of the Bormax 2 as well, and they've held up fine.

I
Crikey. I just looked them up on WHeaven for a price reference. They have them up (out of stock) at £174.95
I got a set direct from Germany for a better price, but that was some years ago, and sadly for obvious reasons I doubt such a deal would be possible now.

Crikey. I just looked them up on WHeaven for a price reference. They have them up (out of stock) at £174.95

Yeah. Don't like buying from Amazon when I can avoid it. But that set that Akirk and I have is available at £70ish on Amazon which is an excellent price.

I picked up a set of 5 Famag Bormax 2, 15mm to 35mm bits in a wooden case
from Amazon a couple of months ago for less than £70. Was I lucky!! Put the 35mm through 50mm of oak using my tatty, cheap old pillar
drill at 500 revs and it really was a revelation after years of Aldi and Lidl specials. Bite the bullet mate get the Famag bits you won't regret it

I can recommend the Axminster cheapos: "Axminster"; not "Axcaliber". When I got my set (±£45 for a box of 6, plus an extension [v. useful]) I was told that they were actually unfinished Fisch bits - with the fire-blackened surface, rather than precision-ground.

They certainly cut like Fish . . . . .

I've had the freud forstner( several sets over 20 years) the ones I got were imperial and come in a wooden box upto an inch from 1/4. they are superb quality items I think there made in Austria. they haven't made them for a while so buy with confidence. I brought a set off freud at Harrogate and they said they were shrinking there product line

I bought this set of Freud Forster bits at a show many years ago, probably 20 - they were so expensive (even in the days of easy money) that I have never forgotten they were £190 then.

3C6A858D-E599-45A0-BC0F-40C1A95A5D38.jpeg

204FF49D-773E-42A3-B6BD-DA4029149DFF.jpeg

(The extension piece was not part of the set - this was very reasonable from Turners Retreat).

They have never let me down, though. The Imperial sizing is not always ideal and I have a smaller set of metric Festool Zobo bits that are excellent for the Centrotec system (these weren’t cheap, of course).

Cheers

Last edited:
Back