Freud FT850E Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PR

Reaction score
At the last Stoneleigh Show I purchased another router - the Freud FT850E. I am thinking of using this with a new Leigh dovetail jig which I am about to purchase. I believe the Leigh D1600 is supplied with 8mm shank cutters.
Can I use 8mm cutters with this router? I currently use it with 1/4" cutters but the book says it should be 8mm.
I have Googled for hours but I can find no reference at all to this router and the Freud website is next to useless.
Does anyone know anything about this router?

Have you got a second collet? If so, is it 8mm?

Adam

I did look but I only have 8mm. The book certainly lists 8mm collet in the package contents but it does not say a word about 1/4" which is what I have got.

PR":3675963d said:
I did look but I only have 8mm. The book certainly lists 8mm collet in the package contents but it does not say a word about 1/4" which is what I have got.

I'm confused. :(

I asked "Have you got a second collet? If so, is it 8mm? "

You replied....

"I only have 8mm"

and also

"about 1/4" which is what I have got"

I can't work out if you got a 1/4" and an 8mm collet or only onem and if so, which.

Adam

Hi PR and welcome to the forum.

Bit confused by your post as to how many collets you have. I'm wondering whether your Freud is the same model as the Ferm 850E that Screwfix used to supply,..but now discontinued there as well as on the Ferm website.

Does yours look a bit like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001MQGCI/202-3418937-7199062

strangely it seems impossible to find an image of the Ferm 850 or the Freud 850...I do suspect that they are one and the same.

So..assuming that is correct then you should have got three collets..a 1/4" fitted to the router, a spare 1/4" and an 8mm.

Hope that helps

Roger

Hi PR

I would strongly recommend that you go down the 8mm route, particularly when dovetailing. See my signature for the reason.

If you go down the Leigh route I would suggest that you look at the accessory kit that they sell as a package with the jig for under 300. It gives you seven cutters and, most importantly, a dust extraction fitting in addition to the jig.

Cheers
Neil

Try searching for the router with the same model number, but with casels as the name instead of freud.

Matt.

Sorry for the delay in replying - have been away. My mistake in my last reply - I should have said I only have the 1/4" collet.
I am going out to the workshop with the camera to get a pic of the router. If I can work out how to post the pic here perhaps someone may recognise it by another name.

Took Matt's advice and called Freudyesterday. They put me onto Woodworkers Inc in Yorkshire. The 8mm collet arrived today.
So now I can go ahead and get the Leigh D1600 dovetail jig - another fancy new box I will have to unpack at the office so HID doesn't see.

Strange, i spoke to freud today, and whilst ordering some cutters asked about your router/collet. The girl on sales spoke to tech department, who said that the ft850e doesn't come with an 8mm collet, and there are none made for it.

Well at least your sorted now.

Matt.

Have just been looking at the Trend website and suddenly realised my Freud 850 is in fact the same as the new Trend T5 mk2. I think they are both made by Fellisati in Italy.
Why does the power tool market have to be so secretive when it comes to revealing the origin of the tools we spend our hard earned cash on? Or would this make it difficult for some of them to justify the price of their wares? Or am I just becoming more cynical in my advancing years?

I think I now know how to get photos into my messages thanks to Neil's suggestion to read Adam's excellent instructional "sticky".

f085f050.jpg

f085f04f.jpg

Hi Peter

PR":2mfxdp12 said:
I think I now know how to get photos into my messages thanks to Neil's suggestion to read Adam's excellent instructional "sticky".

Errm, no. All I'm getting is two red x's.

Edit: I'm now seeing the second photo. Even when I cut and paste the first url I'm getting permission denied. Isn't this something to do with the Imagestation free version?

Cheers
Neil

Back