Freud ft2000vce

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I use this router in a table, but yesterday it was running very erratic, eventually losing the speed control and now only running at about 1/2 speed with an unpleasant burning smell and becoming very hot :( It's about 2 years old with not much work. If anybody has had a similar problem with this router or any other 1/2" router I would be interested to know as I think it will not be justifiable to have this one repaired. I am looking at the Dewalt 625 or the Trend T9 as possible replacements.
Any help or comments appreciated.

Philip

Hi Philip,

I don't have the same router as you, but the thing that usually causes problems is a build up of dust around the brushes and or the air vents. The brushes are normally a replaceable part, don't cost too much and only take 10 minutes to fit.

The router you have is quite well thought of so I would try to sort it out.

PJ,

Don't know where you are but if you give McBride Tool Services a bell in Ballyclare Tel 028 93349181 and ask for David McBride, who looks after the repair side. They're Freud agents and very, very helpful.

Rgds

Noel

PJ...

I'll back Noely up on that; if you can get it to a servise centre, it'll be resurectabe. Freud's are built like tanks, there's a lot of life left in it yet.

Personally, the thing that cought my eye with your post was thinking about possible causes; they need a good air-flow around them when table mounted to avoid overheating the speed control circuit.. don't ask me how I know this...
If I were you, assuming you haven't already done so, I'd spend some of the time that it's in the shop making sure your ventilation is fine.

Hi,
I found the source of the problem, repaired it this morning and all is fine again.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to the post.

Philip

And.......? Come on, what was the problem?

Rgds

Noel, a happy Freud owner.

Noel,
The problem was the tachometer ring situated under the speed control box. The ring had become loose on the end of the armature and was rubbing the underside/jamming on the control box. The end of the armature is slightly worn from this rubbing. A spot of retainer onto the end of the ring and armature has solved the problem. This problem has only come about because the router is inverted in a table.
Hope all this makes some sense.

Philip

Cheers Philip, something to keep an eye on.

Rgds

Noel

Back