Fretsaw vibration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD

Established Member
Reaction score
Been given a SIP variable speed fretsaw (same as axminster awvfs and jet jss-16) mounted on plywood base but it sounds strange not a consistent sound and it moves along the bench due to vibration varying the speed alters the amplitude of the vibs. max speed does not reduce vibration .Is this how they are normally or is there a fault please.

It needs to be bolted down , unless you can get your stool to vibrate along the bench in harmony :mrgreen:

Unfortunately like most things in life , buy cheap = buy 2 or 3 times

The higher the price the better the quality ( Normally )

+1 for bolted down - Just a thought - when I tested one of those sip fretsaws some time ago the action of the arm going up actually touched the mounting for the clear plastic guard - made one hell of a din and vibrated horrifically - later turned out that the one I was given to test had been dropped down a flight of stairs :shock: :shock: but worth looking at!

Rog

Bolt it to the loose-fitted lid of a home-made sandbox with bolts passing through the base of the box and up through the lid. The saw's vibration will tamp down the sand for you as you saw, so keep tightening up the bolts until you end up with a really solid, heavy base.

Oh, FWIW, the earlier SIP scroll saws did have a lot of vibration but the later models were a significant improvement. It sounds as if you have one of the earlier models.

Not just cheap fretsaws that vibrate, many years ago I bought a quite expensive British built Fretsaw (Diamond) Vibration was awful, after contact with the makers I was advised to bolt it to a worktop or stand (100% essential) and bolt the work table to the floor, I was also advised to remove a balancing weight that the factory fitted as when bolted down the saw was smoother without it.

Another factor to take into account is that although I use mine on a wooden stand a metal one is better (much less vibration) it has something to do with the frequency of the vibration, this is why many better scroll saw makers offer an expensive metal stand for their saws!

FWIW I also have a Hegner multicut with variable speed, they are expensive but a fantastic machine, very smooth, extremely quiet and a real joy to use, it is my favourite workshop machine TBH! :)

Armed with all the info above but still concerned about the irregularity of the vibes. i checked the mechanics to day and found the counter balance and drive pin output casting connection to the motor was loose, tightened the Allen key sorted.It still vibrates but its much smoother so thanks once again for all your help.

Back